Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Conservatives - What is the price tag for your healthcare reform bill, and how many people will it cover?

You claim liberals ignore the Republican healthcare plan, well here's your chance to educate us.

@ Buying is Voting - I agree. However the proposed reform is still more effective and cheaper than the status quo. It's not a perfect solution, but it is a better solution.

Doctor O - You're blaming the CBO for this? Surely the Republicans have at least come up with a price tag for their plan, right?

Save your rhetoric - I'm looking for very basic pieces of information - cost and the number covered. That information exists, right? I mean, the entire Republican party has at least defined that, haven't they?

@ Special Unicorn - Actually, I did dig for myself, and I couldn't find this information anywhere. I was just wondering if any Republicans had heard these statistics.

@ Buying is Voting (response) - Because prevention is far cheaper than cure. More people with access to quality healthcare means fewer end-of-life issues which account for upwards of 80% of lifetime medical costs.

Buying - I think you have some good points, and I think our goals are not mutually exclusive. You say invest in technology which improves outcomes, I say focus more on prevention than cure - we can do both. Also, those Scandanavian countries you point out spend less on healthcare per capita than the US yet they have a better overall healthcare system. (http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_spe_per_per-... I also work in healthcare but I deal more with physical rehab than mental health, and maybe that accounts for the difference in our thinking. In the end I still think the costs of insuring more people outweigh the costs of taking no action.

Favorite Answer

[edit to your comment] What makes it better or cheaper? You could be right, but I've yet to see any undeniable evidence of how that could possibly be true. What does it do that Medicaid does not do? If hospitals, doctors and nurses still get paid the same for their services (surgeries, hospital stays, ER visits, etc.etc.etc.), how is the government plan "cheaper?" The same overall cost burden still exists.....

[2nd edit] "Because prevention is far cheaper than cure." I'd love to believe that's true (I work in mental health care). And in some cases, it might be true. But there are numerous indicators (at least two of which come from Scandinavian countries with socialized health care) which suggest the opposite. Preventive folks actively seek out procedures which prolong their lives and ultimately incur higher lifetime costs. For example...

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2009/08/co...

http://content.healthaffairs.org/cgi/content/short...

Invest in technology to develop cheaper procedures. And then there's also tort reform.

You can't keep paying doctors for antiquated procedures costing hundreds of thousands of dollars and expect patients to foot the cost of the services OR the insurance. Can't be done. If the insured don't care how much their hospital bill is (post-deductible), and doctors don't care (because that's how they get paid) and insurance companies don't care (because they're just passing the cost to the policyholders), then who is the one that is supposed to give a sh*t about burgeoning costs? It's like saying "who wants to pay?" to a room full of people and not seeing a single hand go up...

Medical services are priced according to risk of death/lawsuit. That's why anesthesiologists are the richest doctors of them all. Knocking people unconscious is risky (but necessary), so they bill outrageous amounts of money to the insurers.

If government just says "don't worry, we'll pick up the tab," it means that the taxpayers are STILL the ones bearing the unbearable burden. Government is not a source of money. They are a very clever, very sophisticated billing agency. The burden ALWAYS falls to the taxpayers.

As a Libertarian I have no idea what a Republican plan would cost but the best way to to cut costs is through the free market. First I would allow individuals to pay for health insurance with pretax dollars the way corporations do. Secondly let people purchase health plans across state lines. Third get rid of the mandates the federal and state governments have put on health plans. Why should a 50 year old woman who's had her tubes tied be forced to pay for fertility treatments she will never use? It only drives up the costs of premiums. Let people buy a health plan that suits their need and budget.Lastly some form of tort reform is needed so doctors don't practice defensive medicine. This is just an overview and details are available at Cato.com as well as other libertarian minded websites

Very simple, Torte Reform, Allowing Insurance to be sold across State lines, tax credits for low income filers for purchasing insurance. 2 pages, not 3000 It will cost much less than the one that passed. The preexisting problem is a tough one to adress, and honestly, I don't know what the right answer is. On the surface, it is very easy to support, but how do you make it work? With the bill that just passed, a person could not obtain insurance, anf pay the fine of $3-600 whatever it is per year. Then when they get sick, just sign up for insurance, and the insurance company is forced to take them, knowing they are going to be expensive. Then the customer can just drop the insurance once they are better. It is like saying Car insurance companies should have to take you after you have been in a wreck, and not be able to charge you appropriately.

You are confusing yourself. Republicans in the Senate have proposed 32 amendments already. None have been allowed by Democrats in committee. House Republicans cannot even get onto the floor to explain their objections.

Not all Republicans are conservative. So there can be nothing called a "conservative bill." You also make the erroneous assumption that there are two options: socialized medicine or status quo.

Republicans proposed limited tort reform: Obama and Democrats say no way. Conservatives want the 1300 health insurance companies to compete in an open market. Right now, that is impossible.

Unfunded mandates have to be eliminated or health care providers will continue to find ways to raise money in order to operate.

Conservatives want burdensome government regulations on health care providers scaled back. It is a fast and easy way to lower costs.

Did you watch 60 Minutes Sunday evening? Medicare loses 60 billion dollars to fraud every year, and the government continues to let it happen.

The untried Republican plan will cost more than that of Obama's (which works in other nations) but no one will have an exact figure.

It surprises me that so many Americans seem not to be aware about Obama’s healthcare plans [a]. During the election, he campaigned for these changes stating that he felt it was unfair to have a system where insurance companies try to escape paying claims and was elected to bring in changes [b].

First of all, too many people do not know that Obama wants to make insurance more available to all. His system is similar to that which works in Holland, Taiwain [c] and Switzerland. It works there and private healthcare companies provide most the insurance to the people there.

FACT - the USA spends more on healthcare PER PERSON than any other nation on the planet [d].

FACT – insurance companies admit that they push up costs, buy politicians and do not pay out for many claims when they should [e].

FACT - the US has higher death rates for kids aged under five than western European countries with universal health coverage [f].

That means that a dead American four year old would have had a better chance of life if they were born in Canada, France, the Netherlands, Cuba, Switzerland, Germany, Japan etc, all of which have universal health coverage. And no western European nation with universal healthcare has moved away from it. And the sad thing is, that the insurance companies have spent loads of money to fight these reforms [g] and loads of politicians are taking the thirty pieces of silver from them to fight the reforms, rather than fight for the health of the American people.

Remember, I back my facts up with evidence. Those who say they are wrong tend not to. If they are wrong, e-mail me with proof and let me know.

The right wing actually has some good idea with tort reform. But they won't cover as many people as there proposing. I would prefer a healthcare plan thats unique to each state, why hasnt anyone ever suggested that? That way texans can have their tort reform and california can have their public option. If these ideas are work, then neighboring states will adopt them. I think thats best solution imo

• wtinc

Why do we need a health care over haul? The answer we do not. Everyone is currently covered if your sick then go the ER. If you want insurance go purchase it. If you want everyone else to have insurance pay for them. But please stop trying to get me to agree with you that we need a health care overhaul that requires government health care. The government can not even run the government why should i let them run my health care? Use your head. or move to Canada.

Last I checked, I am not in Congress. Perhaps you should check with those in Congress..........????

They have submitted ideas, if you want to know what they are, dig for yourself. But in NO universe does saying "you got anything better..eh?" a justification for something bad being put in place.

• You have made the erroneous assumption that there should be a government plan. there is no authority to create a soviet style health plan.

I say get the government out.

Stop paying for illegals.

It will save money.