Going to New Mexico soon. Albuquerque or Santa Fe?

I'd like to see the native lands and arts too. Will be renting a car so suggestions for interesting and worth seeing places within 1 or 2 hours drive from either cites are appreciated! Let me put it like this:

I don't want to do the typical tourist trail. I am not interested in shopping centers or overrated museums, places, and things to do. I studied Anthropology and am interested in the native American culture, history, art and jewelery and I will be accompanied by a photographer friend. So, the more authentic the place the better! Thank you!

Favorite Answer

Most authentic place would be Santa Fe. Go to The Plaza in Santa Fe, it's beautiful. There is an old church there that has a spiral staircase with no supports. Loretto Chapel. It's close to The Plaza, you'd have to walk about a block. I've been there about twice in 9 years.

Go to wikipedia and type in Santa Fe, NM. You will probably want to read up on it, since it has a ton more information than I can possibly give you out of my brain, since I don't live there lol.

You can also go to the reservations around Santa Fe and Albuquerque. Sandia, Zia, Santa Ana Pueblo. Absolutely beautiful land. Santa Fe is also a little more artsy than Albuquerque.

Albuquerque is more of a city...the only places I would suggest going for culture is Old Town and Los Ranchos, both of which are located near Rio Grande and I-40.

Hope I helped; I'm not really familiar with either of those places; I've only been to each about 2 or 3 times.

Source(s): I live in Rio Rancho, NM, which is about 2 miles from Albuquerque
  • Actually, if you make a trip to Santa Fe', make it a point to go to "The Plaza" in town. There you will see many natives, selling authentic art, pottery, blankets, whatever they have made. I was born in santa Fe', but lived many years in another artsy type place not far from Santa Fe, and that would be Madrid, go by there, look at some of the old silver mines, theres plenty to see and do there.

Then avoid Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Albuquerque is a modern city with freeways and high rises and Santa Fe was taken over by the tourist and California crowd and the authentic people were forced out. The closest you can come to authentic is Taos.

On 23 April 1706 Francisco Cuervo y Valdés, who replaced Governor Vargas in 1704, wrote to the king of Spain and to the viceroy of latest Spain he had based a clean villa in New Mexico. Cuervo y Valdés named the community after the viceroy, Fernandez de l. a. Cueva, Duque de Alburquerque.

Santa Fe. I enjoyed it much more than Albuquerque, though that is my opinion. Santa Fe seemed to have more to do which surprised me. Good luck deciding ! :)