Why was God so cruel to Job?! and..?

how can you reconcile such cruelty with God who is all loving and desiring of mercy over violence?

I believe in God, but I'm genuinely confused by the logic of this and many other things.. how can anyone take ALL of the Bible completely literally? I am genuinely confused

OK: here's what I don't get. If God is all-knowing, why did he doubt Job's faithfulness? why would he have to kill his family and ruin his life?

and then when God "blesses Job" with a new family.. surely God would understand that family is irreplaceable? I mean this story just makes God look cruel and stupid

ImagoDei: thank you very much, I appreciate this so much. your answer is full of so much to think about it..

Best Answer

Because that god is a egotistical, self centered, righteous, mean, A-Hole with a power trip.

Welcome to one of the most puzzling questions in theology.

Job is one of the most difficult texts in the Bible because of the philosophical problems it poses. Why would God be so readily swayed by Satan? Why would God allow his most righteous servant to suffer needlessly?

There are many different explanations for this story, which is actually one of the oldest in the Bible. However, I believe that it is always best to read Scripture in its proper historical context. The Job narrative was most likely originally created in the patriarchal period preceding the First Temple, although it was not recorded in its present form until the post-exilic period.

Modern archaeology speculates that the Israelites originated NOT out of Egypt, but out of a peasant class of Canaanites who revolted against Egyptian colonials in a sort of ancient version of the French revolution. If Job was indeed written during this period, the overall narrative arc--a man who suffers greatly for no apparent reason (like the peasant class), who eventually is liberated and blessed by God--makes complete sense.

Jewish history is tragically cyclical in the ills that befall the people, especially in the destruction of Solomon's Temple, and the subsequent Babylonian exile. The story of Job is reinforced by this event of tragedy and then joyous return to Jerusalem--precisely around the time Job was officially recorded and incorporated into the Hebrew Bible.

With this in mind, it seems that the Jews were grappling with the same questions you and I are when we read Job: why do bad things happen to good people? How can God stand by and watch his righteous servants suffer? The narrative offers little good answer except that relentless faith in God, like Job's, is ultimately rewarded (as it was with the Jews themselves). This, I think, is the message the Biblical author intended.

Source(s): EDIT: Of the many alternative responses to Job (besides the one offered above), one that I enjoyed reading is Carl Jung's "Answer to Job". Jung is a famous psychologist who was a contemporary of Freud, and offers some pretty strange but fun psychoanalytical ideas about Job and God. I don't know how much of it I buy into, but still, it's worth a read (and rather short).

He knew his faith was strong and could be tried, he also knew that the end would be better than the beginning.

Job 42:12 So the LORD blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.

God was not cruel to Job. Job was God's most loyal servant. God went around the heavens bragging to people on how good it was. Satan came and requested to test his faith in God. God agreed. Job lost everything, but in the end because it was loyal and faithful to God, gain more then he could of ever wanted.

God has the right to take a life at any time becasue He is the one who gave it in the first place and will restore it in the end!

"When his life was ruined, his family killed, his farm destroyed, Job knelt down on the ground and yelled up to the heavens, "Why god? Why me?"

And the thundering voice of God answered,

"There's just something about you that pisses me off."

Source(s): Stephen King

You know, you're allowed to believe what you will, if you don't like what the Biblical god has to offer, it sounds like you should look into a few other religions...

God is as real as Santa clause check that out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsbNJAnkCq4

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

idk, why did god give job the gift to hear something he cannot see. I wonder what voice God uses for his victims....