Why does the mention of dogs (or animals in general) often cause people to lose rational thinking?

I was on another forum earlier this week, the subject was unwanted pets in shelters. I couldn't believe how many responses there were such as "ban all breeding", "make a government program requiring all pets to be microchipped", all these things if the people spouting them stopped for 10... show more I was on another forum earlier this week, the subject was unwanted pets in shelters. I couldn't believe how many responses there were such as "ban all breeding", "make a government program requiring all pets to be microchipped", all these things if the people spouting them stopped for 10 seconds and thought the process though, wouldn't help the situation at hand. Many of the suggestions, in my opinion, would like just help the irresponsible people and hurt the responsible ones.

For many people, it seems like the idea that dogs are legally property invokes a negative response. But the alternative is that you don't own your pet.
http://dogpolitics.typepad.com/my_weblog...

Or people complaining about the way some animals are killed or euthanized, methods that are humane but people seem a bit squeamish, people freak out. Just a few minutes ago, there was a post about captive bolt guns. I grew up on a farm and there were a couple times when an animal got injured to the point you knew there's no way it would live, it got shot. Yes, it seems "violent", and I don't know if I could do it myself, but the 2 possible situations were to put it out of it's misery now or let it suffer for another 30 minutes while we drive to the vet to be put down.

(Reminds me of this video I watched of Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs talking about castrating lambs, about how he thought was horrible and cruel actually wasn't: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-udsIV4H... )

Or those that complain about hunting because it's "killing animals". Have they watched any nature shows and seen Zebras being ripped apart and eaten alive by lions? I'd much rather be a deer killed by a gun than a zebra killed by lions.

I know people love animals and love their pets, but why does it seem that rationality often goes out the window and the viewpoints are 100% emotional?

I'm not saying no emotion should be involved with our pets. And yes, I'm probably guilty to some extent myself of letting my heart rule my mind with my pets, but I do try to remember to step back and look at the big picture.
Update: I'm not saying everybody does this (I was running out of available letters on the title of the question, so I apologize I couldn't put a bunch of clauses in there), but I do see it a lot. Some are kids, some are adults.
Update 2: "Ok, so where is the question? " >The question is right there at the top: "Why does the mention of dogs (or animals in general) often cause people to lose rational thinking?" > The rest of the post is "additional details". Supporting information and examples to further clarify... show more "Ok, so where is the question? "
>The question is right there at the top: "Why does the mention of dogs (or animals in general) often cause people to lose rational thinking?"
> The rest of the post is "additional details". Supporting information and examples to further clarify the question.