Do I qualify for food stamps in Alabama?

My situation:

-Recent college grad

-Unemployed, but constantly looking and applying

-No children, not married

-No house or apt.

-No financial help from family

-Living with a person (free rent) that can barely help me financially(including food), be she makes around 25,000 a year

-No bank account or phone

-No unemployment checks(from being layed off)

-No health insurance

-No benefits,alimony,child support,nothing,

-Under 25

I've looked at the federal and state websites, but they don't really address my situation. I don't know if I'm neccessarily considered considered homeless,because I do have a couple places I can go to, to sleep, but I don't have a fixed address or a fixed place to sleep like my own room or something (esp. if I don't hurry up and find a job or some kind of financial asst.).

• Nikki
    Favorite Answer

Here is some info that may help! I have included the website and a link to a calculator to give you an idea of if you would qualify. I beleive you would, it won't hurt to try! Good luck!

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) eliminated the time limit for able-bodied adults without dependents (ABAWDs) during the period from April 1, 2009 through September 30, 2010, unless a State chooses to offer a qualifying work activity.

Generally ABAWDS between 18 and 50 who do not have any dependent children can get SNAP benefits only for 3 months in a 36-month period if they do not work or participate in a workfare or employment and training program other than job search. This requirement is waived in some locations.

With some exceptions, able-bodied adults between 16 and 60 must register for work, accept suitable employment, and take part in an employment and training program to which they are referred by the local office. Failure to comply with these requirements can result in disqualification from the Program.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/fsp/applicant_recipients/e...

http://www.snap-step1.usda.gov/fns/

Source(s): USDA

I believe you have to go through the process and fill out the paperwork. Only they can tell you if you qualify. The sooner you do it, the sooner you may qualify.