Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 decade ago

Is there an insulin pump that moniters your blood ?

i want an insulin pump that does not involve needles at all and can Monitor you blood. Please Please help me.

Favorite Answer

Well, all insulin pumps involve needles. But only briefly. Every three days I have to change out my infusion set and that is the only time I see a needle anymore. After that I'm just left with the small, soft bit of plastic that is attached to the infusion set - that is what stays in you. The needle is only there to 'introduce' the infusion set

As for as continuous glucose monitors (CGMs) ...some pump manufacturers are producing some that work with their product. I think Minimed has a product out that can already do this and I know Animas is working on a similar product.

Though I get the feeling that what I mentioned above is not what you are looking for.

All insulin pumps use needles, sorry. Each pump company has many different infusion sets to choose from. With a lot of infusion sets, when you put a new one on, there's the thin, flexible plastic cannula with a needle in the middle of it. You put the needle/cannula in, and pull the actual needle out, leaving the soft cannula inside you, which you can't feel at all.

With most insulin pumps, you actually have to check your blood sugar more often than when you use MDI (Multiple Daily Injections) therapy. The reason being, with an insulin pump you only use fast/rapid acting insulin. So while you are less likely to go low when using pump therapy, it's easier to go high. Not because the pump doesn't work as well as shots, but because if you get a bad infusion set or it gets kinked, the insulin can't get through. But most pumps have alarms for that.

While they do not yet have actual insulin pumps that monitor your blood sugar, they DO have Integrated Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems (CGMS) with the Medtronic Minimed pump, and the Animas pump company and Insulet (Omnipod) company are both working on getting CGMS's with their pumps.

The downside with any CGMS is that you have to put another infusion set in just for that. Also, they are not 100% accurate, especially when you are out of range. For example, your CGMS could say that you're 80mg/dL and dropping, but you can really be in the 40s or 50s. Same as when your blood sugar is high. So if you use a CGMS, you ALWAYS want to do a finger-stick to double-check if before you do a bolus correction or something.

I hope this helps!

1

Source(s): The Complete Diabetes Solution - http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?qNaR
  • Gary B

1) How are you going to inject the insulin without a needle? the CANNULA used by the pump is a needle that is installed short-term under your skin. Needles are necessary for insulin -- period.

2) So far, there is NO real-time monitoring available, but they are working on it. Unfortunately, that means a SECOND cannula has to be installed under your skin to hold the blood sensor. Like the insulin cannula, this needs to be replaced every few days.

Right now, this device is NOT approved for sale in the United States, but it should be in the next 2-3 years, IF all the tests go well.

• All pumps have a needle in you for a few seconds at least. but there are pumps that have patch like things that you can get with them and they will monitor your blood sugar. If you don't like the tubing on most insulin pumps try the OmniPod that's the pump i have and i LOVE it. i think it comes with the blood sugar monitor thing but i'm not sure.

• Noccie

sorry, no such thing. researchers are getting close to getting a glucose monitor and pump to work together, but both have to be under the skin.