Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Name the title of each event (civil war history)?

I just need the title for each event. Thanks!

The invention of what machine in 1793, made it easier for plantation owners to clean cotton, thus requiring a larger workforce of slaves to grow, pick, and ship the larger amounts of cotton?

What was the name of the slave insurrection in 1831 that resulted in the deaths of 55 white people? This rebellion was led by a slave preacher who felt he was directed by God to fight the "serpent" of slavery.

What amendment to an appropriations bill (how Congress gets money) tried to prohibit slavery in territories in 1846?

What set of laws were made more strict in 1850 (as part of the Compromise of 1850)? The changes were: federal agents were fined up to $1000 if they didn't return an escaped slave, slaves and former slaves could be arrested with virtually no proof, suspected escapees could be held and punished without a jury trial and could not testify on their own behalf, and any one who aided a runaway slave with food or shelter was subjected to 6 months in prison and a $1000 fine.

What book published in 1852 gave people all over the world a new insight into the lives of slaves (slavery) in the South?

What incident occurred in 1856 where people were tortured and killed (violence) trying to fix election so that a new state would be admitted as a slave state?

What incident occured in 1856 where one South Carolina Congessman beat a Massachusetts Senator on the head with his cane (in the Senate) for saying that his uncle (also a Senator) kept "slavery as his mistress"...and drooled?

What Supreme Court decision in 1857 said that slaves could not sue for freedom, no Black slave could be a citizen, and the Missouri Compromise was unconstitutional (Congress cannot regulate slavery)?

What famous set of debates brought the issue of slavery into a Presidential election in 1858?

What raid occured at a federal arsenal in Harper's Ferry, VA in which the leaders planned to arm slaves for an uprising in 1859?

1 Answer

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

1. Cotton Gin

2. Nat Turner's Rebellion (also known as the Southampton Insurrection)

3. I do not know.

4. Fugitive Slave Law of 1850

5. Uncle Tom's Cabin

6. I believe this was the Pottawatomie Massacre, but I am not sure.

7. The Brooks-Sumner incident

8. Dred Scott v. Sandford,[1] 60 U.S. (19 How.) 393 (1857), commonly referred to as The Dred Scott Decision

9. Lincoln–Douglas debates of 1858

10. John Brown's Raid on Harpers Ferry

Source(s): wikipedia
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.