Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

do i use a question mark in a sentence like this...?

in the following sentence do i ues a question mark or a period?

"hello my name is john smith and i am emailing you as to inquire if you all are hiring"

I think I am supposed to use the question mark because it is still a direct question, but I am not sure.

Favorite Answer

Don't use a question mark and just say, "Hello, My name is John Smith. I am writing to inquire if your company is now hiring, or if you will be hiring in the future."

The words, "you all" and "as to" should be taken out.

you do not need a question mark. You aren't actively asking the question, just describing that you will ask it.

Hello my name is john smith and i am emailing you to as inquire if you all are hiring.

i would re-write your question. If you are sending an email, this would be more appropriate.

My name is John Smith. I want to know if you are currently hiring. I am interested in a position, if one is available. Thank you.

They know you are emailing them too, so I would take that part out if you are inclined or wanting to use the question mark and rephrase your question instead.

Hello, my name is John Smith. Can you please tell me if you are hiring?