Richard Laymon book question?

I've read some of Laymon's work before and really liked it. Last night I picked up a copy of The Midnight Tour not realizing it was part of a trilogy. If I try to read it w/out reading the other books will I be able to understand it?

Favorite Answer

Richard Laymon is always a great choice and I am sure that you will enjoy reading The Midnight Tour. There are actually four books in the Beast House series though. The first book is called The Cellar, the second book is The Beast House and your book, The Midnight Tour, is number three. The fourth book is a novella called Friday Night at the Beast House. It is the only one that I haven't read -- yet! Must get around to it soon.

In answer to your question, you would be able to understand the book okay if you read it as a stand-alone novel, but my advice would be to read the other two books first because they contain a lot of background information that is relevant to the story and I think you will enjoy the book a lot more if you are aware of the history leading up to The Midnight Tour. It is not the same beast in this story you see. In the Celllar there was more than one beast and The Beast House explains where the original beast Xanadu came from and how it ended up at Malcassa Point.

Iv'e been in the same predicament myself, by the way, my wife once bought me two Stephen King books: Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. It was a nice thought but they are books four and five in King's Dark Tower series and I had never read any of the earlier books, so I went out and bought the other books and read them first. I was glad I did -- The Dark Tower Rocks -- then, of course, I had to buy books six and seven.

I've found that Richard Laymon is very underated by most bookshops as I've rarely seen his stuff in WH Smiths or Waterstones. Luckily I can buy online so I have all his boks courtesy of Amazon. You best bet is to follow the advice give by the second answer on here and order copies through Waterstones or another large bookshop.