what are great activities for young elementary school kids to do for community service?
for my 4-h group to get involved in
- ShelbyLv 41 decade agoFavorite Answer
There are ton of good ideas at http://www.kidactivities.net/post/Community-Servic...
How about: Community Service for Animal Shelters...
1. Collect and donate items on animal organizations' wish lists: Example: Paper towels, dried dog food, milk substitute, portable cages, blankets and towels, cleansers, and food bowls.
2. Raise money for homeless pets or sick, injured, and orphaned wildlife-- by collecting coins.
3. Sponsor a walk-athon, bowl-athon, read-athon, etc. backed by pledges. Donate to local shelters or animal organizations.
Putting together packages for a chidrens' hospital (See site) or...
• Pick up litter at a park.
•Collect items for a time capsule.
•Make treats for a local senior home.
•Improve the school grounds.
•Develop and maintain a recycling program at school.
•Collect food, warm clothing, toys, or personal care items for the needy. Deliver to shelters. Remember shelters are in need of supplies all year long!
•Hold a Teddy Bear and Friends (Stuffed Animals) Drive.
Donate the collected animals to a Homeless Shelter for new arrivals.
•Collect unused make-up, perfume and other cosmetics for a center for abused women.
•Make center pieces, holiday cards, birthday cards, and notes for assisted living facilities, children hospital wards, or meals on wheels.
•Donate old eye glasses to an organization or place that recycles them for the needy.
•Collect old stuffed animals and dolls, clean them up, repair and then donate them.
•Collect old clothes and donate them for a dress-up area at a daycare or family shelter.
•Make a holiday basket for someone in need or crisis.
•Write letters to service men/women.
•Put together a care-package for service men/women.
•Form a litter patrol on school or park ground.
• In December contact a tree farm or nursery about donating a Christmas tree to a needy family, shelter or nursing home.
More ideas on the site! Have fun!Source(s): Barb Shelby http://www.kidactivities.net/
I am a Brownie scout leader, and my girls LOVE to do community service projects. Here are some we've done.....
1) Bake and decorate cookies for our school fall festival
2) Make Christmas ornaments to decorate a tree for a local nursing home
3) Sing Christmas carols at a local nursing home
4) Collect items to make care packages for deployed soldiers
5) Gather canned goods for a local food bank
One of the things I've learned is that my girls really like to go to the places. I make a big deal out of our group delivering things because it helps them to realize that they are actually affecting the community and not just donating some items to some random place they've never seen.Source(s): Personal experience
- 1 decade ago
Making cards is a good idea! They can make cards for shut ins or people in a nursing home and then, they could go deliver it! Or they could make cards for our troops, or families of our troops, or people in the hospital. That would be a great community service project!
- 1 decade ago
we had a plant trees and flowers day. Depended on where you live the weather might not permit but it was a lot of fun and the kids really enjoyed getting down and dirty, it also teaches them too!
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- RAHLv 51 decade ago
Anything you can do with nursing home residents would be great. You've gotten good suggestions already. You could decorate cookies with them, too.
Here are a few sites that have some great suggestions and ideas. I hope this helps!Source(s): http://lancaster.unl.edu/4h/serviceideas.shtml http://www.nationalserviceresources.org/practices/... http://www.usaweekend.com/diffday/tools/guides/tea...