im selling a home..buyer has fha loan..and i need to tile garage floor?

hi,im selling a home and the buyers have a fha loan..the fha inspector says i need to tile or put vinyl in the garage on the floor..WHY do i have to do that?to tell you a lil bit about the garage,its attached to the house and there is no car garage door,its been inclosed and i put a regular door in instead..its NOT heated or cooled..the washer and dryer are in the garage...bottom line its still a garage without the big roll-up door..dont understand why i would need to put any type of flooring in for fha..its not a safty issue i dont think..thanx for you help

Best Answer

FHA used to account for 5% of my deals and now it's more like 50%. I figure an extra $2000 in all my deals with FHA loans just to cover all their requirements. If the FHA inspector says that's what it takes for your home to qualify for that FHA lender to fund, then that's what it takes. You need to decide who's responsibility the floor covering will be - yours (sellers) or the buyers. Typically financing is the buyers responsibility; however, I assume you're in a buyer's market trying to sell. If the home needed major work to get FHA ready and that's the only financing the buyers qualifies for, I would suggest the buyer purchase with a construction loan then close it out months later with the FHA perm loan. In this case, I would suggest someone cough up the $800 or so bucks for floor covering. Get this home sold and move on. Check with the inspector to see if carpet with a 5.5 lb pad will work - might be cheaper. One more suggestion - if your a real estate agent, find an FHA inspector and lender that is easy to work with that will get deals done fast because not all FHA lenders are the same.

This is another example of unwarranted government intrusion in to private affairs. It should up to your buyer to determine if he wants concrete, tile or other kind of flooring.

You have the option of changing the door back to a garage door. Offering the buyer what ever type of flooring he wants. Let him choose the color style as long as you have a sufficient deposit to cover the costs. After all he is going to live there, it should be his choice, and he should pay for it.

It is possible that the loan underwriter is wrong about the floor. So you might want to ask him what rule/regulation requires the "tile" floor. If you do not like the answer, ask for a supervisor.

I bought a house last year, with an fha loan in CA. There were health and safety issues that I had to fix, before I could buy the house. The bank that owned the house wouldn't do any work to it. Maybe because you are selling it not the bank? I wonder which one of us got screwed.

If the garage has been closed up, then it's no longer a garage for real estate purposes. You've converted it into house square footage - even if it's only storage space.

The appraiser can not claim that as part of the GLA in the appraisal. You need to inform them that the space is not heated and is not being used as living space. It can cause a delay in your closing if you don't.

Source(s): MN Appraiser