Do people give second chances after cheating? Will the relationship work the second time around?

Here's the situation, I've been with my BF for over 3 yrs. Whenever I ask him how he feels about me, all he says is "If I didn't, I wouldn't be w/ you". There were times when I would get very emotional and pour my heart out to him and I would get no response from him. He would just change... show more Here's the situation, I've been with my BF for over 3 yrs. Whenever I ask him how he feels about me, all he says is "If I didn't, I wouldn't be w/ you". There were times when I would get very emotional and pour my heart out to him and I would get no response from him. He would just change the subject. There's also issues about his mom living w/ him and not having privacy. I can't walk around the house whenever she's around because she does not like me. I don't think he even defends me to her. I've noticed that whenever we would get into an argument, he will not call me for days. I'm the one approaching him and making up.
There were times when I think about all his problems and issues and feel that I don't have a future with him. He doesn't have a steady job, he's a used auto dealer and his mom still lives w/ him, His mom sleeps next to his bedroom and hears all our arguments and conversations.
Lately, I've been feeling so confused and about ready to give up. We've been breaking on and off due to the fact that he can't tell me how he really feels about me and yet when were together, we have lots of fun. There's also things that he's doing that I don't approve of like partying w/ his friends who are into drugs. There were times when my BF was selling them and his reason is "times are hard right now and he needs to make money to support himself". I told him that I will not tolerate it and he needs to quit. His auto business is doing really slow and not selling much at all. So he's basically barely making it, paying just the minimum on his monthly bills.
Like I said whenever we would break up, he wouldn't call me for days and I would just go out w/ friends. I became close to someone and ended up going on a date w/ him. My friends all tell me to just get to know him first before making up my mind on who I wanted to be w/. They all think that my BF is not good for me and has no future.
Long story short, the guy I was dating ended up falling for me and contacted my BF and told him about the two of us. Now my BF doesn't want to have anything to do w/ me. I explained to him that all those times when I was pouring my heart out to him, that I was hurt because he couldn't tell me how he felt about me. I thought that he didn't love me anymore since he hardly tells me the 3 words I wanted to hear so bad. There were times when I really wanted to end things but couldn't because I love him so much. But if you're not receiving the same love and affection, what do I do? I've realized he doesn't have anything to offer me, he's struggling making ends meet, top it all of, his mom was always getting in the way. But despite all that, I'm still in love with him but just unhappy about the whole situation.
Sometimes, you don't realize things until it's too late. Well I just realized how much I really love him. I've put up with all his issues and that really doesn't matter to me because I love him for who he is. I've tried to get him away from his low life junkie friends and tried to make him a better person. And despite his drinking and temper, I still love the guy. I told him to give us a chance and maybe I'll move to the city and we can get our own place and start all over again. I told him that this time, it will be different. I will gain his trust again and will not mess this chance. I really believe that people can change once they made a big mistake that they regret. I also believe that when someone ask for a second chance, they will try harder to make the relationship work to gain their partner's trust back. I really love him and I know deep down he still loves me. He is very hurt and feels betrayed. I do know of someone who has been unfaithful and asked for a second chance. Now their marriage is as strong as ever. I don''t think I'll ever fall out of love w/ him or get over him. Please advise.