Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

What does the military do for you after completing ur 4 years of service?

house?

cars?

insurance?

benefits?

college?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Besides perspective, seeing the world, confidence, knowledge: Your college will be paid for, and you'll be paid to attend the college. See the link I provided for the Post 911 GI Bill.

You'll be taught self discipline, which will help you in every aspect of your life. For example, I was AWFUL in High School. I had a problem with authority, I couldn't pull more than a 2.1 GPA and didn't care. Now, I'm married, living in a fully furnished apartment. I have a really nice savings account, and I'm going to school completely paid for and maintaining a 4.0 GPA. That's because of self discipline.

Not only is military experience extremely sought after in almost all companies, many government jobs that you have to test for (i.e. Police Departments) will award you veteran's points, which is generally a +10% boost to your grade.

You'll be a life long member of USAA which is a bank / insurance company for LOW rates. They're awesome, been with them for over 4 years. My rates just went down AGAIN!

The military won't buy you a house or cars, but it will teach you how to save your money and make due with what you have in the mean time.

You won't regret it!

Source(s): http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Post-91... USAF Security Forces 2005-2009, current college student
  • 1 decade ago

After completing an enlistment under 'honorable' conditions you become eligible for various veteran's benefits. There is a VA program that will gurantee part of a home loan (giving you a lower interest rate). In addition you can get life insurance through VGLI (but you can get better rates if you shop around) and you get various amounts of money for college based on the terms of your enlistment.

• 1 decade ago

house? No...VA loan, yup

cars? Uh no...the military never gives you a car

insurance? Your SGLI stops when you get out (unless you retire), there are programs to buy into if you wish that will insure you.

benefits? You get to keep all those snazzy uniforms!

college? The GI Bill...which is pretty good now a days.

Oh and don't forget...after 4 years you get 4 more years of IRR...because no one signs up for anything less than 8 years...I don't care what you were told. You owe Uncle Sam 8 years!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You'll leave with your GI Bill and various other benefits (such as the VA home loan program), health care for any service related problems, etc. There is also transitional training programs to help you seek out work or begin your education. After that, you're on your own.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

College education, if you paid the$100 per month for the first year served. VA benefits. Low interest home loan. 5 points on Civil Service test.

• 1 decade ago

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

What they did for you was during your time. Experience under high stress environments, money for college, discipline... the list goes on and on.

What did you want, a gold watch?

Edit: VA and Military Benefits you get when you get out are -earned- during you time in. So they aren't "given" to you.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You can get a fully paid college education.

Leaves you with valuable experience.

What does any job do for you when you quit after 4 years?

• 1 decade ago

If you get out on an honorable discharge you can get your Gi Bill.

Other than that you are on your own. Plan ahead.

Keep in mind you still owe 4 years in the IRR and can be called back.

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

none of the above except the college IF you signed up for the GI Bill and earned an honorable discharge.

no other employer gives you any of those things when you quit after 4 years, why should the Military?

• 1 decade ago

COLLEGE and veteran stuff

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.