The 'cute puppy/dog' epidemic?

Is it me or are more people buying, adopting a puppy or dog based on 'looks' alone? People are continuously asking questions about the 'best' small and/or large breed dog. So many answers are based on 'cuteness'. What? Then there are the questions on 'what can I do about my... show more Is it me or are more people buying, adopting a puppy or dog based on 'looks' alone?

People are continuously asking questions about the 'best' small and/or large breed dog.

So many answers are based on 'cuteness'. What?

Then there are the questions on 'what can I do about my hyper Boston Terrier?' Cute little pup wasn't he? Did they do any research about the breed?!

Also seeing many questions referring to 'which should I get?' A Labrador or a German Shepherd? These breeds are at 2 different ends of the spectrum.

What has happened to picking a puppy/dog pure bred or mixed based on temperament and genetic traits?

I know it is difficult to access mixed breeds when adopting from a shelter, but taking some time to get to know the dog is important before you bring it home and find out it wants to kill your cats.

Am I the only one seeing this running rampant?
Update: Jessie: I find the whole love, love, love thing to be extremely disturbing. People buying/adopting GSDs. Rotties. Dobermans. American Pit Bul Terriers.... with absolute ignorance.

Then you have the herding breeds.....more ignorance.
Update 2: Chigirl: I couldn't agree with you more. I love to see people adopting from rescues and shelters but too many times it is for the looks. Granted, we are ALL drawn to the 'look' but a big deciding factor lies in temperment. I answered a question awhile back. The person adopted an APBT/mix (?)... show more Chigirl: I couldn't agree with you more. I love to see people adopting from rescues and shelters but too many times it is for the looks. Granted, we are ALL drawn to the 'look' but a big deciding factor lies in temperment.

I answered a question awhile back. The person adopted an APBT/mix (?) from the shelter. Got it home and it killed his cat.......duh?!!! Not ALL are prey driven but it would have been a GOOD idea to test that before exposing your poor cat to possible death. Of course, the dog went back because it was 'agressive'.
Update 3: Bernese Love: I would like to verbally pick them up by the back of the neck and shake the sh*t out of them.

Daisy: You have a 'cute' dog. But you did your research and KNEW what you were getting for better or for worse!
Update 4: Summer! EVERYONE'S answer matters! I read every word. Don't ever think you have nothing to contribute.
Update 5: For You Blue: Chaplin is adorable!!!
What a great mix.
Update 6: CC: Black dogs and cats are the least adopted at shelters. I owned a Black German Shepherd. Absolutely beautiful dog not just in appearance but tempermant. Why the stigma? I don't know....