Martin Luther was anti Semitic?

the Nazis made medallions and coins of Martin Luther who was a virulent anti- Semitic.

Martin Luther wrote a book called 'On the Jews and Their Lies"

The following is from Wikiquote which is is run by the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a US-registered 501(c)(3) tax-deductible nonprofit charity

On the Jews and Their Lies (German: Von den Juden und ihren Lügen) is a treatise written in January 1543 by Martin Luther, the German theologian, in which he advocated harsh persecution of the Jewish people. Four centuries later, the Nazis used quotations from this pamphlet to justify their Final Solution.

How do people actually justify thinking this guy was right in his assertion of what he thinks is right??? And why doesn't history show that he wasn't MORE of a bigot instead of a respected person of society?

@good mood....well you should care. hes the founder of what being a protestant is.

and they say hitler was a catholic pfft...

Favorite Answer

Martin Luther was mentally disabled. He said you don't have to practice the 10 commandments to go to heaven, and then a bunch of idiots started to follow his blasphemous word

This is not so much of a defense of Luther but just plain Truth. Anti Judaism was common over Europe as it was by Catholics and non Catholics.I suspect all Luther was doing was using his book for more approval of his views.

• Will L

Martin Luther is a human being who had several things right as well as several things wrong. I tend to focus on the right things and not the wrong things. Jesus was put to death by the Jews through their deception before the Roman government. With this said, Jesus death was caused by all of us because of sin.

The Roman Catholic Church also held to similar beliefs and Pope John Paul II made confession for the sin of the Church only a few years ago (soon before his death) and made apology for the Church to the Jewish people on behalf of the Church.

The thing is Martin Luther did a lot of great things for Christianity despite his failings in certain areas.

• ?

There were very few Europeans who were not antisemitic in those days - and sadly their percentage of the population there has only decreased somewhat. Shakespeare made Shylock a very sympathetic character in the Merchant of Venice, but if he did not have the "Christian" ultimately triumph over the "Jew", no one would have gone to the play and he most likely would have been run out of town.

The same way Atheists are bigoted against Christians. Atheists feel a sense of superiority over religious people. Much the same that a lot of whites feel superior to blacks.

Christians simply ignore their evil history, the catholic church was just as corrupt and bigoted. I could never follow a religion with such a violent history.

Not a Lutheran, do not really care about German rantings from 450 years ago.

I understand the history and my Christianity does not hinge upon nor is affected by the rantings of a 16th century German. Sorry dear, your attempt to paint us with one brush simply fails.

And on what authority do you tell me what I should think? The tolerance you demand of others? Thanks for the demonstration, if this is how it looks, I'll pass.

• bormet

indexed right here are some fees **from Luther** which coach that he replaced right into a rabid anti-Semite: "The Jews need to be hanged on gallows, seven situations bigger than elementary thieves" "We would desire to take revenge on the Jews and kill them." "The blind Jews are fairly stupid fools" "Now basically behold those depressing, blind, and mindless human beings." "eject them continuously from this united states of america" "they're no longer something yet thieves and robbers" "What then shall we do with this damned, rejected race of Jews?" "the form of desperate, thoroughly evil, poisonous, and devilish lot are those Jews" "they're the actual liars and bloodhounds" "we are at fault for no longer slaying them." "I shall furnish you with my honest suggestion: first to set fireplace to their synagogues or faculties and to bury and canopy with airborne dirt and dirt despite won't burn, so as that no guy will ever lower back see a stone or cinder of them." "2d, i propose that their properties additionally be razed and destroyed." "5th, i propose that risk-free-habit on the highways be abolished thoroughly for the Jews." "Burn down their synagogues, forbid all that I enumerated earlier, rigidity them to artwork, and deal harshly with them" "If this would not help we would desire to force them out like mad canine" "If I had to baptize a Jew, i could take him to the river Elbe, draw close a stone around his neck and push him over with the words `I baptize thee contained in the call of Abraham'." Martin Luther replaced right into a brutal guy who persecuted the Jews unmercifully. Martin Luther, German chief of the Protestant Revolution, founding father of Lutheranism, Protestant theologian, replaced into at the back of lots of Protestant theology. An examination of a few of his fees makes it fairly obtrusive that we are actually not gazing a rational guy. modern Protestants could do nicely to benefit something with regard to the history of their modern theology.

a bigoted christian? impossible. I don't believe it