I think Roman Polanski should rot in jail for the rest of his life-do you agree? y or y not?

As many of the regulars who frequent this site already know-I'm Liberal on most issues. However, Polanski isn't just a sex offender-he is a pedophile who has eluded justice for too long. I was outraged that Scorcese and other Hollywood types argued on his behalf. Absolutely disgusting.

Favorite Answer

I think Mr Polanski's sentence should be up to a duly appointed judge as with any other person who pleads guilty to a crime.

Mr Polanski pleaded guilty to sexual child abuse but fled before sentencing. He needs to own up to his actions.

Here is the chilling Grand Jury testimony of the Mr Polanski's 13 year old victim: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/polanskicover...

If Mr Polanski was an 80 year old Catholic priest accused (but not convicted) of sexual child abuse over 40 years ago then do you think that Woody Allen, Whoopi Goldberg, David Lynch, Martin Scorsese, Harvey Weinstein, and Debra Winger would be speaking out to defend him?

Here is SNAP's (Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests) statement on Roman Polanski: http://www.snapnetwork.org/snap_statements/2009_st...

With love in Christ.

The rest of his life, no. But he did commit a crime and flee from justice. Probably he should do some prison time.

EDIT: Yeah, I don't see it as a liberal vs conservative issue, and as I said, I don't think he should be let off the hook.

Here's my reservation about the "rot in jail" part: He was accused of drugging the girl, and then raping her. But he plea-bargained to a much lesser charge. Since he was never tried for the icky stuff, how do we know for sure that he actually did all that?

So, he should serve time for having sex with a minor, and for leaving the country. That should add up to something more than just a slap on the wrist, but less than a life sentence.

• booM

You know, that's one question I have long struggled with, as I absolutely HATE pedophiles. However-and someone else brought up Charles Manson here-when your young, 8 month pregnant wife is brutally murdered while pleading for her baby's life and her unborn child is cut from her womb-is this an extenuating circumstance?

Not one that forgives the crime, but should make us consider that when such a horrific thing happens it alters the course of human existence. Maybe the guy needed treatment or protection from himself afterwards, I'm sure the murder of Sharon Tate warped and twisted him personally and permanently.

Whether it was a factor in his treatment of the girl in question, I have no idea. And I sure as hell wouldn't have let him off the hook for his behavior-but rotting in jail for the rest of his life? Well, you know...I'm just not sure about that.

No. He pled guilty to a charge of child endangerment and then when the judge, who was publicity-mad, decided to change the conviction to make him, the judge, look 'tougher' in the eyes of the public, Polanski fled. If you read about the trial you'll learn that it probably would have been throw out due to judicial, prosecutorial, and defense misconduct. In other words, Polanski didn't get a fair trial by anyone's standard. Is he guilty? Of child endangerment, perhaps. But then so should her parents for allowing a 14 year old to be in the company of an unrelated adult. Were they ever brought to trial? No.

• logan

Yes of course he should for what he did to a 13 year old girl! In the general population too! Every child molester should never see the light of day after they are convicted.

He committed the crime at 40 years old or therabouts. He needs to some time, no doubt, and pay restitution to his victim.

Ask any normal loving parent if they would love to have their 13 year old raped and drugged.

Who ever supports this guy, I hope they die a horrible death!

YES, He ran and has had all the freedom he should get.answer: yes rot in jail. on his way to h#ll.

I don't have any comment on that in that case Rush Limbaugh should also be put in jail for sleeping with young boys in Guatemala

For both his original crime and fleeing. He should also be made to pay for all that has gone into extraditing him.