Im 3 cm dilated, how long will it take me to go into active labor?

Follow
  • Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
Earlier today the Dr told me I was already 3 cm dilated and could give birth any time this week- How long will it take -estimated guess ? & How will I know its time to go to the ...show more
Update : im 39 wks .
Update 2: Thnks everybody .
Best Answer
No one can tell you hun. When I was pregnant with my youngest I went from 3 cm to delivery in one day. However, when I was pregnant with my son, it took a week to get from 1 cm to 2, and another week to get from 2 cm to 3, and another week to get from 3 cm to labor and delivery! It all depends on your body and your baby!
  • Rate
  • Comment

Other Answers (7)

Rated Highest
  • Rated Highest
  • Oldest
  • Newest
  • kristin answered 5 years ago
    ok the honest answer is that being 3 cm indicates you have started labor but no indication of when your labor will stop. I went into pre-term labor and asked the question to many doctors and nurses because I wanted to try to hold labor off as long as possible. I was given the answer I could deliver that day or in months. My obgyn said she had a patient that lasted 3 months at 4 cm. Do you know how effaced you are? My doctor told me that has more to do with how soon labor will begin, but still not a sure thing. I was 90% effaced and 2 1/2 cm and lasted a week, was told the average would be 2 weeks but it is different for everyone. 100% effaced is when the cervix is completely thinned out so a general rule is if you are close to complete labor could be very soon and if you are at the very early stages, 0-50 it could be a while. But people have went from zero to 100 in a matter of hours, same thing applies to the position of the baby. There are stations and depending on how far in desent your baby is could indicate how much longer you have to go but also again it can vary. The only thing I can say for how you will know you are in active labor is most people really really know, there is no denying it, they are in a lot of pain. Although there are cases where people with high pain tolerences don't realize they are in labor until very close to delivery. You will know if your water breaks, or if the pain increases to something that you have to concentrate on is the best way to describe it. It makes you stop what you are doing, you have to try your best to do things to distract yourself from the pain, go to the hospital. The rule of thumb the dr's give you is if you are earlier than 37 weeks and your contractions are more than 4 in an hour, go to the hospital (this is a sign of pre-term labor) if you are after 37 weeks, it's ok if your labor begins (no reason for them to intervene and try to stop it) and you can wait until you're contractions are about 4-5 min apart before you need to go. Use common sense though, if your are far from the hospital, leave your home sooner, go to dr's, if you are sent home, go somewhere nearby, if noone lives near, even a motel so you are close if labor progresses quickly. Make your hospital bag. A couple outfits for yourself, an outfit for the baby with a hat, socks, 6 or 7 receiving blankets, they will give you diapers/ etc. (maybe even 2 outfits, one smaller and one larger in case you have a large baby.) If you have any bleeding that is red, go to the hospital as well. If you think you are leaking any fluid, also go to the hospital.

also i forgot, put the carseat in your car. pack toothbrush, toothpaste, a hair brush, shampoo, conditioner, a nursing bra, regular full underwear (this seems basic but easily forgotten if you pack during labor, you will have other things on your mind). ( and time lower back pain as well, labor can occur in abdomen, in back, or both.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • mismicdar answered 5 years ago
    I went in at 38wks and was 4.5cm and 80% effaced. The doc said I could go at any minute but because I wasn't experiencing any contractions she said for me to go home and wait it out. It took me 3 more days before I finally went in and I was at 5cm at that point. Funny thing was...I was never really having strong contractions until they broke my water at 6cm - then all HECK broke loose and I was begging for the epidural. I would say you'll definitely be giving birth within the next 3-5 days or so. Remember, getting to 4cm is the longest and hardest part of labor, Once you reach 4cm you're technically in active labor so long as you have strong enough contractions.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Jules, E, and Liam :) answered 5 years ago
    You should be soon. Although some people can walk around at three for a while. I think the majority of women would go within a couple days of having three centimeters dilation. I would estimate around the 24th or 25th. You can look for these signs of labor: bloody show (mucus and blood discharging from your vagina), water breaking (duh), and regular contractions (a tightening or ache) that don't go away when you move, change positions, drink water, or anything else. You can also tell by how you feel physically. If you have one or two of those symptoms and are also feeling punk (like nauseous, overly irritable, or exhausted), you could be in the early stages of labor. But don't feel bad about going to the hospital for them to check if you are not sure. I got sent home once and was in labor and basically went right back. So even if you go and think you are in labor that night, don't feel like you can't turn around and go back.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • well i know that a few of my friends went to the hospital when they were 3 cm ...but they had labor symptoms...most women are def in labor at about 4 cm...if your water doesnt break then you should look for early labor symptoms, the first one before any contractions is the release of the mucus plug...when you use the restroom check for any spotting or exessive mucus...that usually happens before your water breaks...but my sis in law who had her baby last week was in labor without knowing for 4 hrs, because her water never broke...so as longas you release the mucus plug thats when labor its about to begin...Good Luck, Take Care, and God Bless...

Source(s):

my sis in law's labor a week ago.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • pinky answered 5 years ago
    Well it also depends how many weeks you are. If you are 37 weeks or later it can be any time. If you wanted to go into labour you can can make love to your partner. There is soeming in the sperm that helps bring on the contractions. But if you are less than 37 weeks I would hold off on anything that you do and try to keep thing small.
    You will know by your contractions. They start off as light cramps and get stronger. Somethimes with your contractions your lower back may hurt. You should keep track of contractions and call your doctor if you have more than 6-7 a hour. Your water may also break.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Jaces Mommy. ArmyWife<3 answered 5 years ago
    well when i went to the doc and i was 3cm dilated and 80% effaced she told me she probably wouldn't see me next week and i went into labor 2days later. my water broke around 230 in the AM (i was asleep so i'm not sure if it was 230. I had bloody show when i woke up. But i had back labor soo my contractions were in My back so i didn't know they were contractions.

Source(s):

so im guessing you will go into labor in 3days JUST A GUESS.
    lol congrats.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Chelsey answered 5 years ago
    I heard that when your 4-5 cm dialated you are in labor. I would say october 24.
    • Rate
    • Comment
  • Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock