Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

Is my persuasive alright?

Should stem cell research be continued? Should a precious human life be taken away because of a stem cell? Stem cell research definitely should not be continued. First of all, billions of dollars are going to be poured into this field. Secondly, people may be injured or killed. Finally, the procedure can be extremely painful. Due to these reasons, stem cell research should be stopped.

First, billions of dollars are being spent on the stem cell treatment. Instead of spending billions of dollars on stem cell research, they could put more money into other things like health care. Just because there spending all that money on research, that does not mean it will succeed. Also, they should study on other diseases that can help the person in a less painful way. They should also research a different way to cure cancer. Besides from the money being spent on stem cell research, another important issue is it is extremely painful.

Another reason stem cell research should be stopped is that the process is extremely painful. Adult stem cells are extracted from the bone marrow from the peripheral system. However, some painful destruction of the bone marrow results from this procedure. The peripheral stem cells can be extracted without damage to the bones, but the process takes more time. Time is of the essence during these times. Another reason that stem cell research should be stopped is because it could injure or kill someone.

Finally, the stem cell process could injure or kill someone. Embryonic stem cells stored over time have been shown to create the type of chromosomal anomalies that create cancer cells. Also, there is a high possibility that the patient can get a brain tumor. The process also requires a human life be killed. The extraction of stem cells from this type of an embryo requires its destruction. This is the same as murder to a precious human. However, there are some people that argue stem cell research should be allowed.

Given overwhelming evidence, people still maintain their argument that stem cell research is right. Some believe that it can cure cancer. However if the surgery or process doesn’t go right it can seriously injure the person or kill. Other people argue that it could save a life. They are wrong because the patient might possibly get a brain tumor or some other serious problem. Killing a life is not worth a risk.

Is killing a wonderful human life worth going through the pain and money? Should millions of dollars be poured into this field? Stem cell research should not be continued. First billions of dollars are being spent on it. Next, the procedure is extremely painful. Lastly, people may be injured or killed. In conclusion, stem cells should not be researched.

Do you think i need to correct anything or add anything ?

Update:

yeaah its an essay hahaha !

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Sorry it took me soooo long to answer!!

1) In your introductory paragraph I noticed you used the word continued in two almost-consecutive sentences. I would substitute one of them for a synonym so it doesn't sound like you have no diversity in your writing.

***Better Yet, I'll copy your essay into my answer with revisions!!***

My tips are marked with an asterisk or a * sign

Should stem cell research be continued? Should a precious human life be taken away because of a stem cell? Stem cell research definitely should not be continued. ** As I stated before, I would replace the word continued with a synonym** First of all, billions of dollars are going to be poured into this field. Secondly, people may be injured or killed due to the . Finally, the procedure can be extremely painful. Due to these reasons, stem cell research should be stopped.

First, billions of dollars are being spent on the stem cell treatment. According to an article by Paul Billings, "California's Stem Cell Research and Cures Act, better known as Proposition 71, allows the state to bypass federal restrictions and fund stem cell research to the tune of $3 to 6 billion." Instead of spending billions of dollars on stem cell research, they could put more money into other things like health care. Just because their spending all that money on research, that does not mean that the experiment will succeed.

Also, scientists should study other diseases that can help minimalize the pain that is being endured by the patient. In addition they should research a different way to cure cancer. ** I think that this sentence about cancer is a point that is WAY off topic. I'd replace it with more support as to the topic of this paragraph.** Besides from the money being spent on stem cell research, another important issue is it is extremely painful. **The last sentence in a paragraph, called a clencher, is supposed to thouroughly summerize the information that you have stated throughout the paragraph, not lead up into the next. (But I had the same problem for a while.)**

Another reason stem cell research should be stopped is that the process is extremely painful. Adult stem cells are extracted from the bone marrow from the peripheral system. However, some painful destruction of the bone marrow results from this procedure. The peripheral stem cells can be extracted without damage to the bones, but the process takes more time. Time is of the essence during these times. Another reason that stem cell research should be stopped is because it could injure or kill someone. **Again in the last sentence of your paragraph, I would focus more on summarizing than leading into your next idea.**

Finally, the stem cell process could injure or kill someone. Embryonic stem cells stored over time have been shown to create the type of chromosomal anomalies that create cancer cells. Also, there is a high possibility that the patient can get a brain tumor. The process also requires a human life be killed. The extraction of stem cells from this type of an embryo requires its destruction. This is the same as murder to a precious human. However, there are some people that argue stem cell research should be allowed. *This paragraph seems to be very well thought out!!*

Given overwhelming evidence, people still maintain their argument that stem cell research is right. Some believe that it can cure cancer. However if the surgery or process doesn’t go right it can seriously injure the person or kill. Other people argue that it could save a life. They are wrong because the patient might possibly get a brain tumor or some other serious problem. Killing a life is not worth a risk.

Is killing a wonderful human life worth going through the pain and money? Should millions of dollars be poured into this field? Stem cell research should not be continued. First billions of dollars are being spent on it. Next, the procedure is extremely painful. Lastly, people may be injured or killed. In conclusion, stem cells should not be researched.

• I have a lot to add on this subject as you are misinformed. Stem Cell research is the ability to use Pre-Genes to make other organs and body part's that people would need. It is also the basis of most Genetic science which is advancing our ability to change Human kind, We could become immune to cancer and other disease's and soldiers could re gain limbs and other body parts.

As where stem cells come from are often remnants of aborted fetus's and many other situations. Not once has stem cell research taken the life of an infant or a soon to be child. The cell's are not extracted from them. Stem cell research cause's no harm and extremely advances our knowledge of Human and Animal basis. And many medical breakthrough's will become more apparent soon.

Stem cell research is needed to advance the Human Medical field into the next era with advanced energy systems that will be released.

Unfortunately religious fanatics try to stop funding to these projects even though they are completely unaware of what it is truly about.

And if God did not want us to change ourselves he would not have given us the ability. God says we have Domain over the Earth and all its animals including ourselves. Please read the bible properly and learn science and the process of such things.

EDIT: Also less than 1 Billion is spent currently on such research, And the only way to cure cancer is to change our genes to become Immune to the Mutation. And for Health care, Virus's and Bacteria constantly evolve and change. Eventually we won't be able to kill them with antibacterials ETC. We need to research the Genetic field to make ourselves immune or humanities time is extremely limited. . Also people are not harmed in in the extraction of Stem cell's and over 96% are not extracted from adults. The ones that are, are used to see the Genetic extension of each cell. And no they can not cause brain tumor's or serious injury in any way. You have a higher risk from taking a Flu Vaccine.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well, I completely disagree with your stance, but beyond that, you are talking about too many things at the same time. You have bits and peices from adult stem cell resarch and embryonic stem cell research in there, but you dont really make a distinction.

Ok, first, with bone marrow donation..... Yes, the procedure to donate marrow is painful. But people volunteer to do it of their own free will. And millions of lives have been saved because of those donors, including my own.

Next, what are you talking about taking more time to donate peripheral blood stem cells? It actually takes the same amount of time. Regardless of whether the donation is bone marrow or peripheral blood stem cells, the donor STILL has to take a series of shots for atleast 5 days. Those shots are to stimulate the body to create more stem cells, so that there is enough to donate, and for the donor to have left. Beyond that, 5 days of shots is really no time at all on the donation time line, considering it can take several weeks and longer to find a matching donor. And even after the donation has been done, it can still be weeks before the transplant process starts. And the patient has to go through ten days of treatment before they can actually have the transplant. SO time is actually not so critical that 5 days is going to kill the person.

Next, you are talking about destruction of human life, which is embryonic stem cells. But what you leave out, is that those embryos are dead even if all embryonic stem cell research world wide was ended. Why? Because its not the research thats killing them, its IVF. Embryonic stem cell research was born out of the waste products from IVF. The embryos used are embryos that would other wise be destroyed and thrown in the trash.

And while they are human, they have less than a fraction of the number of skin cells you shed in a single minute. They have no organ formation, no brain, no cns, and no consciousness. When you put it in that perspective, its quite different from killing a living human.

Is killing a wonderful human life worth the pain and the money? Well, if millions of women feel its worth the pain and the money to have a biological child, then yes, its absolutely worth the pain and money to use the trash from IVF to possibly find cures for diseases. With adult stem cells, I am only alive today directly because of my bone marrow transplant. And apparently, yes, my donor felt it was worth the pain, and my life is definately worth the money it took to go through that treatment.

Now, what are you talking about risk for brain cancer? Yes, a bone marrow transplant does put you at higher risk for developing certain types of leukemia and brain cancer, but what you miss is that all of my treatment before the transplant does as well. Its the chemo and radiation that puts you at higher risk, things almost everyone who has had a bone marrow transplant have went through even before a transplant was considered.

You say other people argue it could save a life, but they are wrong because the patient might get a tumor. True, I might get another type of cancer, but the transplant has given my almost 3 years of life that I wouldnt have had without it. I think thats damn well worth it, especially since I had already had chemo and radiation anyways.

But that only applies to treatments that use chemo and radiation. Not everything that can be done with adult stem cells uses chemo and radiation, and the hope with embryonic stem cells is that treatments can be developed that arent reliant on chemo and radiation.

And while its true that if the procedure goes wrong it can kill the patient, the SAME can be said for EVERY medical procedure. EVERY time you take a med, even the tylonal in your cabinet, if something goes wrong it can kill you.

Source(s): . As far as the structure of the essay... work on your transitions. You have a pattern of repeating the last sentence in a paragraph with the first sentence in the next. Thats not necessary.
  • 1 decade ago

wow unless this is an essay or report there is no reason to write that much ;O

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.