Can my neighbors sue? A dog attacked theirs?

I know the question sounds stupid but here the situation. I'm sorry, but this is going to get a bit lengthy. Yesterday my neighbor (we'll call her Sue) and her mom (we'll call her Sue's mom) were walking Sue's dog Tess. Tess is a little dog, with fur that wont bother allergic people. Sue's... show more I know the question sounds stupid but here the situation. I'm sorry, but this is going to get a bit lengthy.
Yesterday my neighbor (we'll call her Sue) and her mom (we'll call her Sue's mom) were walking Sue's dog Tess. Tess is a little dog, with fur that wont bother allergic people. Sue's finance was at home with Sue's father. Sue and her mom went out to walk the dog. Sue and her finance walk their dog atleast 3 times a day. So while they were walking, a HUGE German Sheppard came out of no where and attacked Tess. Tess didn't do ANYTHING that would've mad the other dog mad. They were JUST walking. The German Sheppard clawed and attacked at Tess. Mind you, big dog VS small dog. Sue was yelling and trying to get the dog to stop, but he wouldn't. By now the German Sheppard was ontop of Tess. Sue's mom sat on the German Sheppard horse-style, but it wouldn't let up. Then after Tess was mauled, the owner came out and grabbed the German Sheppard by its tail. It stopped and they left. This was the THIRD attack that dog has caused. They put the German Sheppard to sleep hours after the incident happened. Now, poor little Tess has been at the vet after since the accident. Sue rushed her there, and shes still there now. Sue and her fiance have been visiting as much as they can; they will do ANYTHING to keep their baby alive. It tooks them MONTHS to finally get a dog; and I just know they will be crushed without her. Heck, their devastated now. To make matters worse, they are getting married next Saturday...

They were wondering if they could sue the German Sheppard owner or not? Would they likely win?

Personally, I think they should get every penny that scum bag owns. He should of put his dog down after the FIRST or SECOND accident! Hm, anyways, opinions and answers, please? :)

Thanks for taking the time to read this,
Krystal, "Sue and fiance" and little Tess xoxo
Update: Yes, Tess was on a leash.