When are you allowed to buy houses or hotels in monopoly?

I rolled and landed on my own property and wanted to buy a house but was told I couldn't because I had already rolled. When are you allowed to buy the house then? Do I have to buy the house on my turn but before I roll or doesn't it matter - can't find this in the rules

• k88dad
    Favorite Answer

I'm surprised how few of the answerers actually tried to answer your question.

You can buy a house at any time. The ONLY exception is between the time somebody rolls and when they finish moving their token. If you announce that you are buying BEFORE someone rolls then they have to wait while you make your purchase. You can even buy between the time someone rolls doubles and when they take their extra roll.

From the rules linked below (emphasis mine):

"Following the above rules, you may buy and erect AT ANY TIME as many houses as your judgement and financial standing will allow."

Source(s): Monopoly rules and online FAQs. http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/monins.pdf

Besides the rule about having to own a monopoly in order to buy the buildings in the first place, there is NO rule about when you can buy houses, assuming you declare you want to buy houses before or after a roll. It's just easier and less hectic to do it before a roll, but after is just as fine.

Technically, your turn isn't over after you roll. Most people just end their turns with the roll, but you are supposed to say you end your turn or something like that.

The only construction related rules are that you have to build evenly and (in tournament settings), you cannot sell hotels to block your opponent from getting the houses required to build hotels.

You need to have at least one monopoly (you own all territories of the same color) If you only have one, then the houses you buy go on any one of those territories of your choice. Also, if you are going to buy a house, you need to do it before you roll. You can buy houses any time in the game but if you roll the dice, you use up your turn and you have to wait for the next one.

when you have all 3 or four of the same colors of property. it tells you on the card how much is a house is. just pick up a card and look at the property name and how much a house/hotel costs. if u buy a house it is your turn so its smart to roll before u buy a house. You need ALL of the colorsof a certin area to build them.

You do it when you have a Monopoly, or all of that color, before you roll. Then you have to buy 5 houses, then one hotel, all on one property.

Source(s): I'm the family champ and these run out fast!

you must buy houses or hotels before you roll, you can buy as many as you want as long as you have all the properties of that color. 5houses=1hotel

ok listen up. when you get a property, you can purchase a house. when you buy five, you trade em in 4 a hotel. if u rolled or not i don think it matters

Sounds cool

It depends..

you have to do it at beginning of your turn

Source(s): rule book from real game not online version