What pellet/bb gun should I buy for a 8 year old boy?

I am wanting to buy my son a gun for Christmas. This is his first gun and I will supervise at all times when he uses the gun. I would like one that he doesn't have to pump a ton. I would think it would be more fun to shoot than constantly be pumping. I would also like it to be a good quality and good looking gun. This will be his first gun and hopefully will last for awhile. I'm hoping to spend less that $130. Thanks!!

Favorite Answer

I had a daisy lever action growing up and it was great. 20 years later it was time to buy one for my son. I shopped around quite a bit and chose a Beeman air rifle. Nothing against Daisy, but these pellet guns are now air rifles.

Beeman has a variety of air rifles, pellet guns, of many differ ant qualities. I spent about $140 on the one I bought and am very happy with it. Some are single pump guns.

It is high enough quality that you win out with accuracy and a real gun feel. In fact, I enjoy plinking targets with myself. When you can feel like it is a gun you would get for yourself, you know it is the right one for your son.

You and your son will also know that it is a gun and not a toy.

Normally I'm not a big fan of the Daisy Grizzly, but in this instance its probably one of the better options for you. Its a single-pump pneumatic (you pump it once to charge it between shots). Its reasonably accurate (say 2-inch groups at 50 feet). And at a maximum of 1.9 ft-lbs of muzzle energy its not overly powerful. My biggest complaint about this gun is that the valve and pump-seals in the gun aren't as sturdy as more powerful guns so they can (and if my experiences are an indication) do wear out pretty quickly if you shoot a lot and don't follow the manufacturer's instructions for oiling the gun religiously. I speak from experience since I had two of these guns and it took about 1 year for the seals in each to die. Then again I sorta just guessed when I was close to 1000 shots...

The Daisy Red Ryder, in my opinion, isn't a good option. It may have been 30-40 years ago, but the modern gun is extremely cheaply made. I find I'm doing good to keep most of my shots on a soda can at 50 feet with a (relatively) recent make Red Ryder. The spring mechanism causes a noticeable "recoil" or "jump" during firing which makes it hard to keep the gun on target and the BB moves slowly enough that this can and does sometimes affect accuracy. It doesn't help that the trigger is really bad and the cocking mechanism is hard to work. What's true of the Red Ryder is doubly true of the Daisy Buck (an even more cheaply made and less powerful gun).

You might look into the Gamo Recon. Its a springer with around 4 ft-lbs of muzzle energy. Basically its a break barrel gun designed for young shooters. It takes about 15 pounds of force to break the gun open and cock the springs. Accuracy is good, say 1-2 inch groups at 50 feet. Cost is reasonable. The only real drawback I can see to this gun is that it requires a scope.

The same basic commentary for the Recon would apply to the Gamo Delta, Crosman Raven and Beeman Guardian, though all of them have iron sights.

If you don't mind using a co2 power-source, the Crosman 2260 would be a good choice. Its accurate (1-inch groups at 25-30 yards), powerful, and has a reputation for being very durable. It might be a bit big for a youth gun, but it would definitely have room to grow with your son or daughter. The only issues are that its a .22 caliber pellet gun so the ammunition is a bit more expensive than .177 caliber pellets/BBs, that you have to buy co2 cartridges to shoot which adds to the cost per shot, and that co2 guns lose some power/speed in cold weather (below 40 degrees F).

I know you weren't horribly interested in multi-pumps, but there are a couple good options in that category to consider. First the Crosman Recruit (essentially a smooth-bore version of the Crosman 664). The big selling point here is the stock is adjustable so it would be able to grow with your young shooter. Then there's the Crosman 664SB and Daisy 880, which are both accurate, reasonably powerful, and reasonably durable. The Crosman 2100 would probably be a bit big, but its probably the best multi-pump available for under $100.

Source(s): All guns mentioned here can be found (along with reviews) at Pyramid Air. http://www.pyramydair.com/
  • C_F_45

If you want a CO2 rifle then I would suggest the Crosman 1077.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-1077-air-rifle...

The 1077AS version of this rifle allows you to shoot up to 400 times without changing CO2 cartridges.

IMO, The Crosman 2100, which is a dual-ammo*, multi-pump pneumatic makes a very nice first rifle.

http://www.pyramydair.com/p/crosman-2100b-air-rifl...

10 pumps is the max, but for plinking/targets 3-5 is fine.

Accuracy = the 2100 is capable of 1in groups at 25 yards.

*He can shoot either BBs or pellets

_______________________________

I could not and would not recommend one of the chinese built Beeman or Crosman break barrel springers. >If your son was 12-13YO or so then I might have suggested the Gamo Big Cat, since Cabela's is selling them for $90-$105 depending on the scope

Why not get him started on a $40 Red Rider? There are plenty of them still around and many a young person has learned responsible shooting practices with one. He'll learn to use iron sights and having to cock the lever for each shot will force him to slow down and make his shot count.

He won't outgrow a Benjamin Sheridan 392 and if you're going to be there with him when he shoots (as you should), you can pump it for him until he gets older.

yes the daisy guns are good i got mine at age 6 and thought it was the coolest gun in the world..dont get him a pump air rifle because he wont have the strength to pump it so the red rider or buck would be great

http://daisy.com/shopping/customer/home.php?cat=24...

Source(s): i got mine at 6 and my lil bro got his at 7

At eight, I agree with the Red Ryder. If you really want to start him out with something more expensive, you'd want to get a break-barrel single shot pellet gun, but he wouldn't be able to cock it by himself.

• Reb

look into a Daisy Buck. I got one for my little brother he's 9 and he likes it. just like a red ryder except no fore grip. i don't know what I want to get him for christmas either a red ryder or he wants a cheap paintball gun from K-mart.

• http://www.airgundepot.com/daisy-avanti-499.html

Daisy Avanti 499

Then learn to shoot at your local Jaycees, 4-H, Boy Scouts, National Guard, American Legion, etc.

http://ibbgcm.home.att.net/

• eagle

Why start him off with an airsoft gun? Remember, no gun is a toy, at 8 he may or may not be ready for a gun. It depends on the child. We lived in the country and we had 22's when we were 11 or 12. Again, it depends on the child.

there are lots of cheap ones at wal mart that will last a long time its just up to you what kind and what size to get him and buying him one will teach good firearms care wich trust me will build lots of trust between you and him as long as you teach him right and corect him on his mistakes