Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Maisy asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

what is stem cell technology?

ok so i have to answer this question for anat and phys but i really dont inderstand this topic:

"What is stem cell technolgy? Relate you answer to cell division and cell diversity."

Any help would be greatly appreciated

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Stem cells are pluripotent (they can become many different types of cell e.g. Haematopoietic stem cells can become red blood cells, T cells, K cells, granulocytes etc).

Stem cells are also potentially limitless, when a stem cell divides it's two daughter cells can go either of two ways they can start the differentiation process, and become closer to the final cell type with each subsequent division, or they can remain stem cells. My understanding has always been that one daughter cell remains a stem cell (keeping the number of stem cells constant) and the other becomes a multitude of differentiated cells.

Stem cell technology is pretty simply, the using of stem cells in order to provide treatments or cures for diseases.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.