What is this spider (picture included)?

I live in Tacoma, WA, and there are tons of these spiders all over town, including my home and all of the woods around here. I'd like to know what kind it is. If you know, please let me know what they are.

here's a picture: http://s427.photobucket.com/albums/pp353/yankyorow...

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Robert
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a European Garden Spider {Araneus diadematus} also known as a cross orbweaver for the unique cross pattern on it's abdomen. Specifically yours is a female. They are an introduction from europe.

• John R
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Excellent photo! Clear and shows the key points of the spider. The Cross Spider ID seems solid, but that Joseph - what a kidder! If white spots meant "dangerous to humans", then all the known dangerous spiders in the US would actually be harmless and many of the harmless ones would be dangerous. Presumably at that point the sky would turn green and plants would all be blue, and we would dry off from soaking in sand by pouring water on ourselves.

• Brian
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

This is a Cross Spider (Araneus diadematus). They're very common all across the US, and they're harmless.

Joseph is incorrect in assuming white spots mean danger. There is no correlation with color patterns and spider venom. All spiders are venomous, but not all spider venom is poisonous to humans. And no orb-weaving spider is dangerous to people.

• Martin
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Its a type of orb weaver, where abouts are you ? Is that in the US

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

the only thing I've read about spiders is that white spots indicate extremely poisonous. Especially to humans.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.