Why do British people speak American?

Why do British people speak American rather than British, I have observed that a lot of British people use American slang and American proverbs more than British, why is this? There are many British proverbs and slang.

I looked at American proverbs and noticed many British use them , but when I looked at British I noticed that many British stoped useing them !

Best Answer

I've noticed this as well, it can only be down to the pervasiveness and ubiquity of American culture. British tv and music are both saturated with American imports. When Australian soap operas like Neighbours and Home & Away were popular with teenagers, many people started using (very annoying) Australian mannerisms in their speech.

A prime example is the spelling and pronunciation of the slang word for bottom. In most parts of the UK, people pronounce the word as A-R-S-E, yet nowadays almost everyone seems to at least spell it as A-S-S. Some easily manipulated people even pronounce it in the American way, even though it sounds stupid when said with a British accent.

Personally, I find it really annoying. It just shows what mindless sheep people can be.

Have you spent any time in both countries?

As someone who has I can tell that as a British person we don't substitute American slang for our own exclusively! Proverbs are a little different, we wouldn't use the old English proverbs very often as they are no longer relevant to modern life and the origins of the more modern one's used in both countries is not always clear.

Every time I go to the US I struggle to be understood at times because we don't use the same words in our language and there are certain British slang words that have no American equivalent. As British people we are bombarded with American English via the media and some sections of society (i.e. children) may choose to copy it but that doesn't mean we have all adopted it!

It's like a "slanging" game. We shouldn't abbreviate words as much but Americans seem to be into all sorts of 'short cuts'. Our Proverbs started in the Holy Bible and that's unpopular when one explains what they mean. Where do American proverbs come from - apart from casual observation ?

Source(s): my generation grew up on "Cowboy and Indian" films. Then, as we grew older and the word 'indigenous' came to mind - a new realisation grew. The problem is Americans believe their "propaganda" - something like mistaken 'patriotism' and now you see yourselves as the "Big I AM". and you aren't. You don't think you 'earned' or deserved your "911" do you.

Why do Americans speak English? Get your own language.

It's the influence of TV and films, mostly. But it isn't as prevalent as may seem. Regional dialect is still alive and well, as I can verify from living in the West of England!

'Eck ee thump lad, tha'rt laikin' aren't tha? Tha'd best not start spoutin' owt like that down sup 'ouse or tha'll end opp wi' a threp in't steans!

Examples?

I don't agree, but I supose there is a lot of influence due to the TV and movies.

• s m

i dont fully agree but it might be the influence of rap music etc from the states, and tv

I have to admit the majority of the British civilisation is diminutive and childish with their under thought slang.