how long does it take to replace a car key with a chip i lost my only one?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

if you go to your local dealer you can get all the information you need to get a key made by a locksmith or they can order you a key

the information you will need is the vin numbers plus proof of ownership and photo id just to prove you own the car

Source(s): me
  • 1 decade ago

Knowing what kind of car would help immensely, but here we go...

1. No dealer can replace a chip key by the vin on any American or most foreign made vehicles without the vehicle being present. The key must be physically programmed into the car's computer. One exception to this is BMW.

2. Depending on the car's age, the dealer may no longer be able to make or program the key. Example: Ford can no longer cut or program chip keys on vehicles older than 2002.

3. Time to originate a new key (not duplicate an existing key) will average 30 minutes with programming. This does not take into account vehicles such as Saab, some Toyotas, some Hondas, etc. that require removal/replacement or reflashing of the ECU.

*A note on locksmiths, at least automotive locksmiths*

An actual locksmith does not require any dealer interaction to make and program any transponder chip keys for which they have sufficient call to invest in the equipment and training.

• 1 decade ago

A dealer should be able to replace it inside of an hour, but they may need to have access to the car to program the chip and the cars computer.

• 1 decade ago

It is a dealer only item - they will need your VIN number to process the key - thats all they need

Call first, some dealers will ask for title as well, to make sure you are not trying to steal a car

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

the only thank you to get a key with a chip in it is contained in direction of the broker. i'd advise contacting the broker you acquire the motor vehicle from because of the fact they'd have your workplace work and can be sure which you at the instant are not a rip-off artist attempting to get a replica key made to somebody else's automobile. as a ways because of the fact the Mitsubishi keys, I have no thought how lots they fee to have duplicated yet i be attentive to a pair keys can fee lots.

• 1 decade ago

However you solve this, I would suggest buying two.

Source(s): shade tree mechanic
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.