How do you legally change the SPELLING of your first name in CA.?

ok so im 15 and i really don't know where to start if i wanna change the spelling of my first name? please help??

4 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I'd be surprised to discover it's necessary to incur the expense of employing a lawyer to CHANGE THE SPELLING of your GIVEN name, Maybe California has a surplus of lawyers.

    Certainly the fact that you're a minor enters into it, and it would be difficult to do if your parents had any objection. Both my daughter's and my name were spelled incorrectly on our birth certificates (Susan instead of Suzanne; Madeline instead of Magdalena). We simply used the proper spelling and the names appear correctly on all subsequent documents.

  • 1 decade ago

    I don't know California law but, in general, I'd guess you'd have to be 18 or have your parents permission. Even if your parents are separated I'd imagine that both would have to agree to any type of name change. Maybe contact the vital statistics office in your state, social security, or any other place that deals with your name. They can direct you towards the steps you need to take to change your name. It'll probably be a huge hassle and you have to ask yourself if it's really worth it.

  • 1 decade ago

    Without the consent of your parent(s) or guardian, I don't think you can do this in California. However, he/she/they may be agreeable to this if you can calmly state your case for it.

    Legal name changes have to be done in the court system. Knowing a lawyer who owes a favor is a good idea.

  • 1 decade ago

    ask chad ochocinco

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.