Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Pricewaterhousecoopers vs Grant thornton?

Hello.. I'm about to graduate from college in the next year( accounting) and I'm having a career /future decision problem.. Should try get a job at grant thorton and work my way up and should i try to get a job at one of the big4 where there is alot of competition. I want to become a senior

auditor as quick as possible but at the same time i want to be making the bucks. What would you do?

Work for the small company and then move to the big 4 or jump right into one of the big 4 co.

Favorite Answer

Price waterhouse coopers good goals not such great forwards. Grant Thornton great left wings, right wings a little light or moderate no great goal(ies).

BUT YOU WONT HAVE A CHANCE WITH EITHER UNLESS YOU GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR A S S AND ASK YOUR QUESTION ON THE RIGHT SITE.

Try Business & Finance and chose from:

Careers & Employment

Corporations

Investing

Other - Business & Finance

Taxes

• Post this under the correct section would be a good starting point (as a last step Y!A will "suggest" categories- if their recommendations don't make sense, change it).

CDN24fan has a ton of "inside baseball" stuff that is spot-on and I won't try to copy it but rather add on as a CPA.

Given the state of affairs you might try getting in with a smaller firm (Grant Thornton isn't a bad place to work for the most part).

Nobody can tell you what to do or when. That's your call and ultimately, it's a judgement call. When you're going on interviews, it's a two-way process. Your resume is all well and good, but it comes down to this (more often than not)...will this person be able to do the job and be a good fit in the organisation? You should be asking yourself "is this a company I want to work for?"

Fresh out of college, I'd be more flexible. A smaller firm is a good way to make your bones, learn the business, and more importantly, cut your teeth with respect to the workplace dynamic (knowing the ABC's of Accounting is good and well, but dealing with people is a skill that so many out of college are a disaster at), and teaching workplace interpersonal relationships is one thing...doing it is another.

This is a tiny industry. Your reputation is your biggest asset (but will be your biggest liability if it goes to pot).

You are in the wrong section, but you found a CA in here.

I guess the best advice I can give you is what do you want to be doing in 10-15 yrs? If you want to be working in a CFO role or Director of finance for a public company I would suggest the big 4.

If you are looking more towards a private company, staying in public practice to become a partner one day, or looking to start your own business I would suggest a smaller firm as you will be exposed to more entrepreneur types earlier. You will be working with and for the owners of business.

Money?? It is pretty much the same big 4 or smaller firm until you become a Senior manager. The small firm will probably be more rewarding as you will be exposed to more sooner. In the big 4 you may get slotted into one industry and spend you first 2 years auditing A/R for that one industry. Spending months on one engagement.

I prefer the small firms myself but it does make it harder to get into a public company later, they generally hire from within their CA firm

If you are looking for the big bucks you picked the wrong profession, the money is good but it takes a lot of years to get to it. As a audit senior you will still be a slave and the big bucks still a few years away.