Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicCountry · 1 decade ago

I'm new to country, what should I know?

I used to tell myself that country music was lame, but I've just recently started giving country music a real listen. I've found some songs I really like, such as

-Small Town USA - Justin Moore

-Back that thing up - Justin Moore

-Country boy can survive - Hank Williams, Jr.

I've also heard some David Allen Coe and Garth Brooks. I think it's all great, but I don't really care for Taylor Swift or Carrie Underwood. I've also been looking up country clubs, line dancing, etc. I've sort of stumbled on this whole new genre and I like it.

Can anyone else recommend good country songs? Whats with the divide between old country and new stuff? Is country getting more or less popular? It seems to me a lot of people hate it still, but maybe thats just my area. Anything else you'd care to share?

Sorry for the open-ended question. I appreciate anything you can tell me.

• Nymph
    Favorite Answer

Yay, finally a new country music fan who doesn't like Taylor Swift! I do agree, that country music can change your whole life, however it's never really been new for me cause I grew up listening to country music and my daddy always lived the style. He worked hard and wasn't worried about the materialistic side of life, he just worked hard to get food on the table and pay the bills. The main line between new/old stuff is Garth Brooks in my opinion. He started country music changing direction, not saying that new country music ain't good, it's just harder to find modern proper country music and not pop (Taylor/Carrie etc). Yeah, people generally dislike country, but country's all about being proud of what you like and not caring about what other people think!

Here's some good country music (from my iPod).

Charlie Daniels Band - The Devil Went Down To Georgia

Susan Raye - L.A. International Airport

Deryl Dodd - Things Are Fixin' To Get Real Good

Brooks & Dunn - Play Something Country

George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today, When The Last Curtain Falls

Johnny Cash - Ring Of Fire, Cocaine Blues, Folsom Prison Blues, Jackson, The Night Hank Williams Came To Town

Daryl Worley - If Something Should Happen

Clay Walker - Only On Days That End In 'Y', 'Fore She Was Mama

Travis Tritt - It's A Great Day To Be Alive, Foolish Pride

Luke Bryan - Rain Is A Good Thing

Willie Nelson - On The Road Again, Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain

Tanya Tucker - Delta Dawn, What's Your Mama's Name Child

Keith Whitley - Don't Close Your Eyes

Miranda Lambert - Time To Get A Gun,

Conway Twitty - Tight Fittin' Jeans

Dierks Bentley - I Wanna Make You Close Your Eyes

Juice Newton - Queen Of Hearts

Chris Cagle - Anywhere But Here, My Heart Move On, What Kinda Gone

Jason Michael Carroll - Where I'm From

Alabama - Down Home, Song Of The South

Montgomery Gentry - Hell Yeah

Aaron Watson - In Harm's Way

Joe Nichols - She Only Smokes When She Drinks, The Impossible, Brokenheartsville

Deana Carter - Strawberry Wine

Brad Paisley - Whiskey Lullaby,

Kenny Rogers - The Gambler, Coward Of The County

Ashton Shepherd - Old Memory, Sounds So Good

Charlie Rich - Behind Closed Doors

Tammy Wynette - Stand By Your Man, D.I.V.O.R.C.E, Your Good Girl's Gonna Go Bad

Loretta Lynn - You Ain't Woman Enough To Take My Man, Fist City, Coal Miner's Daughter

You can't really go wrong with George Strait and Alan Jackson.

Listen To;

Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, Vince Gill,

Rodney Crowell, Charlie Daniels,

Early Willie Nelson,

David Allan Coe Is Good,

(But His Earlier Songs, Were Better

Than What He's Putting Out These Days)

Songs Like; Human Emotions,The Ride,

Livin' On The Run

Suicide Is A Great David Allan Coe Song

George Jones, George Strait,

Hank Jr.(Early Stuff),

Like Family Tradition,

(Tired Of Being Johnny B.Goode,

And I'm Gonna Be Johnny Reb)

Whiskey Bent And Hell Bound.

All In Alabama,

Early Charlie Daniels Songs,

Trudy, Highway,

The Legend Of Wooley Swamp

Marty Stewart Was Good

Gary Stewart.

Dwight Yokam

Look Around For These Artists

On You Tube,

You'll Find Some Music That You'll Like.

Japan 1 Ichiro 2 Daisuke Matsuzaka Dominican Republic 1 Albert Pujols 7 Alfonso Soriano Venezuela 1 Johan Santana 2 Carlos Zambrano USA 1 Alex Rodriguez 3 Chase Utley

glad you've discovered country music! :)

with all these pop-country crossovers like Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood, a lot of the country are losing their country sound and are sounding just like pop. Even though they say that people like Taylor are 'inspiration' for other young females vying to succeed in the country industry, it's not true. recently, Taylor got 6 AMA (or some award show) nomination. You Belong With Me and White Horse are still on the charts. not just Taylor though, there are a few other male artists who's songs've been released like way back in March, and they're still on the charts. well at least they are true country songs, unlike Taylor's. she's definitely overrated, in my opinion... but that's just my opinion of course. the old stuff definitely has its country roots, and those are becoming less popular. some new artists cover these 'old stuff' and make them all pop and call them country... ugh. thus, many people think all there is to country is Carrie and Taylor. so much more to country than just that!

some good country songs:

All I Ask For Anymore - Trace Adkins

Big Green Tractor - Jason Aldean

People are Crazy - Billy Currington

Gunpowder and Lead - Miranda Lambert

Concrete Angel - Martina McBride

God Bless the Broken Road - Rascall Flatts

Man!!! No one has recommended Jamie Johnson yet....

He has some great stuff... His Album "That Lonesome Song" is awesome. Probably know the song "In Color"; but others on the cd like "mowin down the roses" and "Stars in Alabama".

But you got the right idea, stay away from taylor swift....

even Kenny Chesney for me isn't real country, but he does have one or two tolerable songs.

Stay with the classics - George Strait; Johnny Cash of course; and if you want to get old school go with marty robbins, charlie pride etc.

Enjoy, no better music on earth!

ANYTHING by George Strait-

seriously//If your looking for some nice classic country without getting to old he's the way to go- he's got such a great voice!

I also think Miranda Lambert does really good with combining old and new country, without getting sounding "pop country" (like taylor swift and carrie underwood)

• Balls

A lot of the newer songs, you probably wouldn't like. Listen to Brad Paisley, George Strait, maybe some early Brooks & Dunn and Kenny Chesney, and occasionally Keith Urban puts out a good song.

Well, I don't know your first question so the divide between old and new country songs is that the new country songs have a kind of pop genre beat in the songs. (ex: Carrie Underwood songs) And the old country music has the old banjo, guitar, and cowboy hat kind of beat, if you know what I mean. Country is getting less popular because of the new rap, hip-hop, and pop genre songs that are being published now. And also, in my opinion, Taylor Swift songs shouldn't be in the country song genre because most of her songs sound like pop...

I hope this helps! :)

Answer mine??

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200910...

Listen to Hank Williams Sr, Jimmie Rodgers, Woodie Guthrie, The Carter Family and anyone else who was ever on the Grand Old Opry. "Country" today is more like what used to be called "Pop" music. "Real" Country is the old stuff. Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, George Jones, Tammy Wynette are required listening.

Source(s): And Don't forget Willie Nelson!

Alan Jackson, Kenny Chesney, Brad Paisley, Rascal Flatts, too many to name.