Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

is the salvation army Christians? (i hope not)?

last year during the xmas time at wal-mart

you know how the salvation army people like to collect money and give you little cards.

so i was leaving wal-mart and i give money and i see other people giving money

so this homeless guy comes in and asked the salvation guy for change

do you know what the salvation guy said?

the salvation guy said "NO the money is not yours and gave him a salvation card instead of the money"

why would they do this? isn't giving to the homeless, what salvation army is all about?

it didn't make any sense to me... can anyone explain this to me?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Salvation Army is a Christian denomination. Collection points and the places where food, clothing, and other goods are given to the needy are two distinctly different places. I am very sure that the agreement that allows Salvation army collection points to exist would not do so (be easily obtained) if they used those same places to distribute to the needy.

Keep in mind that _many_ panhandlers are professionals and do this by their choice for a living. On any given day, a "homeless" panhandler can collect $400 or more (per a study of the "homeless" done in several cities). The only reason they are tolerated is because shutting them down would be a violation of their right to "free" speech.

I strongly suspect the person you observed being rejected was looking for a source of cash for their next "fix" whether it be of drugs or alcohol.

• 1 decade ago

The Salvation Army isn't about giving cash to the homeless, it's about giving them food, clothing, and shelter on an as-needed basis. The money they collect is used to provide these necessities of life.

Does that make more sense? In many cases, money given to homeless people is used by them to buy drugs or alcohol, which would be counter-productive.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, it is. The Salvation Army is an actual denomination of Christians.

They use a lot of their money to help the homeless, but there are proper channels within the organization with which they do this. They can't just hand out the money from the buckets to anyone who asks for it at the stores. It needs to be accounted for and dispersed. That is wise stewardship. Plus, if the homeless guy comes to their mission, they will know for sure that he is receiving services of food, clothing, shelter, and not just spending it on his drugs or alcohol.

• 1 decade ago

I think it has more to do with giving through proper channels. If a person comes to a shelter, you provide the shelter, food, clothes or whatever he or she needs without enabling any other problems he or she may have. Just giving money away doesn't always do that. Though it's not the case for everyone, some people are homeless because of addictions. Providing cash to buy more isn't going to help.

I do hope the "salvation card" had the address of the shelter on it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, the Salvation Army is a Christian denomination.

I assume the guy didn't give the homeless man money because the money's not his to give. It sounds like he directed him to the proper channels to get help.

• 1 decade ago

They give food not money. If you see a homeless person with a sign saying need money for food go and give them a can of food or something if you feel like helping. Some signs say need money for rent, but that means they have an address and aren't homeless. Either way it's sad to see those with so little, I hate it. Some beggars are professional though and make more money than a worker, tax free!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Unfortunately the "Bell ringers" are not always actual members of the Salvation Army. An actual member of the Salvation Army would have directed him to a place where he could have gotten a meal, and maybe a place to sleep.

• C J
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

It is a Christian organization. Couple things to note: Those who collect the money and ring the bell are paid, not volunteers so they may not hold the spirit of the organization at heart. Secondly, the money is intended to go to programs to raise the standard of those in need overall. Giving to that man would take from that program some, a program which could use that money in a more efficient and profitable way for him alone. Is it cold? yes.

• 1 decade ago

Purely Evangelical Christian.

Direct quote from their website:

Mission Statement

The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God.

Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.

• Tamaki
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

LOL! ahahaha... something fishy is going on there

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.