Good server for a web server?

I am looking to buy me a computer to use as a web server. I plan on having some friends sites on it so could someone please recommend a server that i could buy?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Adrian
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Any older computer with 1Gb memory and a P4 processor should do, depending on what it is used for. Remember that the internet access to that machine will be slow compared to regular networking - limited by your ISP speed to the internet.

I run an Ubuntu server with 5 web sites (a couple with forums), ventrilo and teamspeak servers, FTP server, a bit of email, all on a Celeron 2.4Ghz with 512Mb memory on a 80Gb disk. That is lots of power for my use....and I have 10mbps internet link (download), with 6mbps upload speed....

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

On the Internet, virtual hosting is the provision of Web server hosting services so that a company (or individual) doesn't have to purchase and maintain its own Web server and connections to the Internet. A virtual hosting provider is sometimes called a Web or Internet "space provider." Some companies providing this service simply call it "hosting." Typically, virtual hosting provides a customer who wants a Web site with: domain name registration assistance, multiple domain names that map to the registered domain name, an allocation of file storage and directory setup for the Web site files (HTML and graphic image files), e-mail addresses, and, optionally, Web site creation services. The virtual hosting user (the Web site owner) needs only to have a File Transfer Protocol (FTP) program for exchanging files with the virtual host. Some virtual hosting providers make it possible for customers to have more control of their Web site file system, e-mail names, passwords, and other resources and say that they are providing each customer a virtual server - that is, a server that appears to be entirely their own server. When a customer does indeed want to have its very own server, some hosting providers allow the customer to rent a dedicated server at the hosting provider's location. If a customer is allowed to place their own purchased equipment at the provider's location, this is known as colocation.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Any computer you can buy today in the $500 and up range would work. All it needs is the ability to run 24/7 and have a lot of disk space (640GB is more than enough to start, and you can always add a 2TB drive later if you need it.) We run websites on old Win2k boxes with 800MHz CPUs, 100GB drives and 2GB of RAM - and they're business sites. But they're computers that are heavily cooled, in an air conditioned room, and fed from uninterruptible power supplies.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To be honest for personal use any old desktop can be converted into a decent server.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.