whats the title to the old sci fi movie about a race car and a jet?

someone runs away from a dystopia using an old race car that was dissasembled and buried under his garage. in the end the government sends an old pilot after him in a fighter jet.

Favorite Answer

The Last Chase (1981)

starring Lee Majors, Burgess Meredith, Chris Makepeace, Alexandra Stewart, Harvey Atkin

IMDb synopsis:

In a future United States, the only transport available to an individual is public transportation. Predicated on an assertion that "the oil has run out", an increasingly totalitarian central government has ordered all personal vehicles be impounded by law. One man, a former race car driver, yearns again for his ability to choose his own roads and destiny. He reassembles his race car hidden from confiscation, and sets out for "Free California" which has broken away from the new regime, aided by a young technically savvy teen who feels alienated from this "social" society. Agents of the new government must stop this man at any cost to destroy the symbology he represents, and the instability that such a desire for personal autonomy could mean to the society. An old Korean War veteran and his F-86 Sabre jet are called into service to chase down this dangerous man, and end his flouting of the will of the state.

WOW! YouTube has the film! Here's Part 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtA48WJQxJc

Youtube thumbnail

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have this one in my vast videotape collection. Back in the Eighties, I watched it dozens of times, especially because I'm a fan of Burgess Meredith and Chris Makepeace. I recall it being a lot of fun, and I love the image of the race car pursued by a jet!