Is this play review essay good?

I had to review a movie or play, and I chose the Sound Of Music. Do you think this is good? Thanks!

The musical, The Sound of Music, directed by Robert Wise, is a movie that regards Maria, a prospective nun, who is assigned to work with the von Trapp family during World War II. Throughout the movie, Maria begins to fall in love with Captain von Trapp, and throughout the movie, their relationship progresses. The film brings upon a musical and joyful atmosphere throughout, and attracts viewers of all ages.

Maria, who is a prospective nun, is training at the abbey near Salzburg, Austria. She is a very free-spirited woman, who enjoys everything music and singing has to offer. She is a young, blonde woman, with short hair, a slender build, and equipped with a beautiful voice created for singing many songs. As she gains a relationship with the von Trapp children, her kindness expands, because she feels the maternal side of her come out of its shell, and expresses itself fully.

The Sound of Music takes place in Salzburg, Austria during World War II. The season is during spring, with good weather throughout the movie. The scenes take place in a rural town in which the children visit with Maria, and the rurally located von Trapp mansion. There are many green hills surrounding the area, and a vast lake in front of the von Trapp mansion, adding to the peacefulness of the town, despite World War II going on around them.

There are many conflicts that take place in The Sound of Music, such as Maria and Captain von Trapp disagreeing on the way that the children are treated. The Captain treats the kids as if they were attending military school, and has high expectations from them. They are required to dress in full uniform and are under the command of a whistle. Maria highly disapproves of his actions, believing children should be allowed to be children. This conflict is a man vs. man conflict, because Maria is disagreeing with the Captain. Another conflict that takes place in the movie is that the Nazis are demanding Captain von Trapp serve in their army and lead the Nazi forces. The Captain does not go at all costs, and makes sure of it. So, during his and his new family’s scheduled performance at the Salzburg Music Festival, the von Trapp family escapes to Switzerland, which is a neutral country, in order to live in peace. This conflict is a man vs. man conflict, since Captain von Trapp is against the Nazi army views and wishes.

The theme of this movie is to be true to yourself, because not doing so can lead to consequences. In the movie, for example, Maria plans on becoming a nun, but can't because she isn't being true to herself. The theme of being true to yourself is stressed throughout the movie. In addition, when Captain von Trapp is being drafted to go lead the Nazis, the von Trapp family leave Austria and go to Switzerland , because they can't be true to themselves and join the Nazis. Since the Nazis tried to spread their hatred for people that were different from them, the von Trapp family simply could not support this and couldn't be true to themselves by helping the Nazis.

I'm a freshman in high school, give me a break. For ninth grade, I'm a pretty good writer.

Favorite Answer

I'm really sorry because this is going to sound so, very rude, but this is not well written at all. I don't have time to go through and make all the corrections right now because I need to go get ready for my game but I'll try to get back to you by tomorrow, but I may be able to get to this later tonight. Email me (go to my profile page) if I don't get back to you by tomorrow evening, I may forget :)

EDIT: And I'm a sophomore in high school. I didn't want to be rude, I'm just telling you the truth because I assumed you want a good grade on this. I'm a harsh writing critic, even more so on myself.

The Sound of Music, a musical directed by Robert Wise, is a movie that regards Maria, a prospective nun, who is assigned by Mother Superior to become the governess for the von Trapp family during World War II. Throughout the movie, Maria continues to fall in love with Captain von Trapp, a widowed naval officer, and their relationship progresses and climates when the two are married near the end of the motion picture. The film brings a musical and joyful atmosphere upon viewers of all ages throughout the viewing.

Maria is a postulant at the abbey near Salzburg, Austria. She is a very free-spirited woman, who enjoys everything music and singing has to offer. She is a young, blonde woman, with short hair and a slender build, and she is equipped with a beautiful singing voice to be compared with the trilling of the birds of the air. As she gains a relationship with the von Trapp children, her kindness expands. She feels her maternal side come out of its shell, and expresses itself fully.

The Sound of Music takes place in Salzburg, Austria during World War II in the spring-time with excellent weather throughout the movie. The movie is placed in rural settings, the small town where the children visit with Maria and the von Trapp mansion. There are multitudes of emerald hills and mountains surrounding the area and a vast, sparkling-blue lake in front of the von Trapp mansion that adds to the peacefulness of the settings and contrasts greatly with the war going on around them.

Many conflicts take place in The Sound of Music. Maria and Captain von Trapp constantly disagree on the way that the children should be raised. The Captain treats his children as if they were attending military school, and he has high expectations for them. They are required to dress in full uniform and are under the command of a whistle. Maria highly disapproves of his actions and detests the whistle saying that neither the children nor she are dogs. She believes that children should be allowed to act like children with time for play and running around, not just marching. The idea that the children need the love and comforting presence of a father and not a strict, military captain is strong in Maria’s mind. This conflict is a man vs. man conflict because Maria disagrees with the Captain. Another conflict that takes place in the movie is that of the Nazis demanding that Captain von Trapp serve in their navy and lead the Nazi forces. The Captain has no desire to do so being very pro-Austrian and anti-Nazi and avoids it at all costs. So, during his and his family’s, which now includes his wife Maria, scheduled performance at the Salzburg Music Festival, the von Trapp family escapes to Switzerland, a neutral country, in order to live in peace. This conflict is also a man vs. man conflict, since Captain von Trapp is against the Nazi views and wishes.

Being true to yourself is a main theme in this movie. Not doing so can lead to consequences. In this movie, for example, Maria plans on becoming a nun, an idea she has had since her childhood, but cannot because she isn't being true to herself. In addition, when Captain von Trapp is being drafted to go lead the Nazis, the von Trapp family leaves Austria and goes to Switzerland, because they cannot be true to themselves and at the same time join the Nazis in their regime of hatred and death for those who are not in the norm from their perspectives.

You need a concluding sentence or 2 or a paragraph to wrap it up. It's kinda just hanging. And the last paragraph is still really weak. Why isn't Maria being true to herself when she wants to be a nun? It is in the previous paragraph why the von Trapp family couldn't being true to themselves and join the Nazi forces but you might want to restate it. And what kind of consequences? There are good, bad, unexpected, etc consequences but don't use the words good or bad.

Source(s): Some advice, don't start sentences with the word "there," don't use contractions in formal writing, the less you use words like are, is, etc the better--use active, vibrant verbs instead, add colorful details even in summaries just not as many as a report, work on word choice a little--you did pretty good with this though, you were really repetitive in some parts too, really watch out for that. Feel free to contact me for anything else. I'm always willing to help if I can. God bless you and good luck with your paper, hope I helped.

Although it will make your review longer, maybe you should include at the beginning about how Maria has a hard time adapting to the von Trapps' difficult life-style. Overall, it is an excellent review.

• Kylee

I love the play Antigone, I recently played her...but I'm not doing your homework.