Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Which is worse, slavery or the holocaust?!!!?

I have to say, even though slavery lasted a longer time then the holocaust, jews during the holocaust were 97% dead if they were alive. and what they had to do to try to escape, and how they survived knowing people were hunting them just for their religion. Although slavery was terrible, because you had to work for someone else based on you natitonality.....But,,,,,in my opinion, i have to say the Holocaust was worse, and i feel so sad for everyone during these awful times..

Feel free to express your opinion, I just want to see which one had a bigger effect on your life, things like that. Thank you! No rude comments please!

Favorite Answer

The Holocaust, no doubt. The world has had a history of slavery so it was not an act set apart from what humans had done for thousands of years, but the Holocaust was a hunt for humans, which is the things nightmares are created from. Wasn't it just George Soros, the leader of the Democrats who said he was a Nazi collaborator and pointed out Jews to them when he was fifteen? Shouldn't he be tried as a war criminal? Have you seen the video of the emaciated starved Jewish children sitting on street corners in Poland with all the well-fed people walking by. I would have given up my life to feed those kids, but this cruelty far surpassed the pillaging and murder of civilians in the olden days, as this gradual deprivation, hunt and final solution came into play. It's A Beautiful Life should be watched by everyone, including Schindler's list, let alone to diary of Anne Frank. My sister took a trip to Germany a few years ago and was on a bus when a German policeman entered and a cold chill ran through her bones. I don't think Vlad the Impaler had anything on the Third Reich, and all crimes in history pale to this one. Yes, I think one of the worst things about slavery was separating the mothers from their children, and their is a special place in Hell for those who committed those kinds of crimes. Hell is going to be quite full.I don't even want to be there, I hear Hell is total isolation from God and everyone else. That is eternal madness.

• Joshua

I am a third generation survivor, my grandfather survived Auschwitz. Although the Holocaust was a breaking point, anti semetic policies leading up to it (pogroms) which lasted hundreds of years in many countries most notably Russia but they did exist everywhere. For example during the civil war General Grant tried to pass an order expelling Jews from many areas, Lincoln overruled.

The Holocaust had a greater affect on me, however I must agree that the two cannot be compared because slavery is for one thing a much more general term, human trafficking out of Asia still goes on today. If you were to narrow what you mean by slavery perhaps a comparison is possible.

It's hard to compare two completely different atrocities. Slavery is a phenomenon not a point in history like the Holocaust. Slavery has occurred in all societies between people of the same ethnicity and different. I assume you're referring to the the African Slave Trade. So in what terms are you speaking of? In terms of death count (only estimates exist and a lot more than half of the slaves were killed/died before and during the voyages and of course while they were slaves)? Psychological suffering? Discrimination? Living conditions for the victims? Torture? Experimental uses? Rape? Families being broken up? Etc.? My opinion is that they're incomparable because they are two different extremes of human injustice. Btw, Hitler's main target might have been the Jews but he was murdering people of all kinds. In my opinion, the African Slave Trade has had the bigger effect on my life, but that's only because I'm Black. I'd need to have experienced both the Holocaust and the African Slave Trade to judge which was worse or conduct in depth interviews of the survivors of both which would be impossible.

Source(s): history textbook(s), logic, and an open mind

By slavery I assume you unknowingly referring only the slavery in the United States, slavery has been around for thousands of years. And during the time slaves were shipped to America we were only involved in 4% of the trade. On the other side of the coin, Jews have been persecuted for just as long, the Holocaust is just one occurrence of their struggle. Both are bad but African Americans are not the only people that have been enslaved.

You would have to consider many variables. Humans have been in-slaving humans since before written language. Greek(yes they did have some), Romans, Egyptians, etc. Many times its not even based on nationality, like the sex-slave trade. Some cultures where even known for selling their own children to others as slaves. One of the disturbing things is what a human can get used to. MY personal opinion would have to be the holocaust as well. There where so many ways that it could have been stopped...but no one tried.

You have got to be kidding?

Slavery: Free transport to America, free food and housing.

Most people don't realize that the white immigrants to America had to scrimp and save for decades to get enough money to immigrate and then they had to live in shacks, freezing and working harder than slaves to keep alive. Some sold themselves into slavery to do it in the indentured servant program.

Other countries had slavery (serfdom) and it was abolished after the Americans abolished slavery.

Matter of fact, I think the only countries left in the world who practice slavery are in Africa and parts of Asia.

Study up on slavery. It has been around since ancient times and still is. It is only the boo hoo liberals who are making a big deal about it. Everybody had it tough in the old days. And the black American slaves had it pretty darn good as compared to the average low income American.

• jory

Slavery was a 400 year holocaust and still happens.

Both are evil.

honestly i think that the holocaust was worse because Innocent people died just because one sick guy wanted it that way.

what did they ever do to Hitler?

but slavery was wrong also, and even tho it was longer, the holocaust had more people die.

slavery was very wrong indeed.

all they did was work,

but luckily they were freed.

They both happened. Both are a part of history.

However, at least Jews are productive members of society. Lincoln forgot to tell the blacks to work when he freed the.

By the way, African slavery is a small minute portion in the history of slavery. Slaves of every race/culture have been around since the dawn of time. Africans act like they were the only ones.

Slavery is still ongoing. I do agree that the holocaust was worse. All types of people have been slaves not just blacks.