would you consider star wars fantasy or sci-fi?

i was told that star wars was fantasy, but i think it is sci-fi. is it?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • LilyRT
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Fantasy. I've even made the argument before that's actually a western in space.

A Sci-Fi isn't just about the trappings of space. It's about fear or hope of the future, scientific progress, government, etc. It shows the progression of a world built on logic (even faulty logic), and the dangers or possibilities that entails. Terminator shows our fears of computers. War of the Worlds is about our fears of the unknown resulting from space exploration (theirs or ours). 1984 is about our fear of a dystopian government. etc.

Star Wars doesn't have anything like that. Sure, they are in a spaceship and there are robots everywhere. But they don't have any inherent meaning. But you could just as easily substitute Trigger the horse and Cookie the wagon trail cook. It's the good guy vs. the bad guy. White and Black hats, etc.

It also works as fantasy because it's the white knight against the black knight. Obi Wan and Yodo both serve as the mystical sorcerer who serves as a guide (think Merlin, Gandalf, or Dumbledore). Darth Vader / the emperor are bad guys with no underlying moral idea other than to be bad. (Sauron, Voldemort, Mordrid) Han Solo is the world-wise warrior (Aragorn). Leia the feisty princess. (Hermione or Ginny, Eowyn or Arwen, Guinevere). And Luke is the young hero out to defeat evil with innocence his strongest defence. (Frodo, Harry Potter and Lancelot or Arthur). Though it doesn't have the quest element, otherwise it's a fantasy in space.

Doesn't make it bad, it just means it doesn't deal with the same issues a sci-fi movie does.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

fantasy sci-fi and action maybe a little drama too. my reason is because their is Luke and Vader and their finding out about their bond. Then Han and Leia falling in love. Lots of diferent categories id say.

Source(s): My love of Star Wars
  • 1 decade ago

sci fi for sure

• 1 decade ago

sci-fantasfi

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Probably a combination of both ... Excellent question.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.