Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

If you and your German shepherd were really close...?

would it protect you from ANYTHING? like legit anything? like if a bull was attacking you would it go after it for you? are they that loyal of their masters? im asking this cuz im probably getting a 1 year old GSD and i just want to know if they would do anything to protect you. not that im a pus or anything again im just wondering if there that loyal.

Favorite Answer

You shouldn't get a dog and expect it to protect you, even if you are really close. YOU should be protecting the dog, not the other way around.

The only way you will be GUARANTEED that is will protect you, is to get a German Shepherd who has personal protection training, which costs a LOT of $$$.

They ARE a loyal breed, but you should never expect a dog that has not been trained in personal protection to protect you.

I would NEVER trust an untrained (loyal) dog to protect me.

I am hoping Curtis M will answer this.

• Expecting a run of the mill GSD to protect you is like expecting if you build a ladder high enough you can climb to the moon. Another good way to put it would be like you buying a Quarter Horse for a thousand bucks and thinking you can win the Kentucky Derby. If you want a GSD who protects you from human beings you need a working line dog trained by a professional trainer and worked by an experienced decoy. As far as a dog protecting you from a bull...most dogs have never seen a bull and are going to run just like you would if a bull charged you...if you plan on running into many bulls on a daily basis perhaps you should get an American Bulldog...or a Buffalo rifle, lol!

Source(s): I'm a professional GSD breeder/trainer.

I have owned the GSD for 42 years and I have never been disappointed by any of my dogs.They are Loyal,Protective and just an all around good natured dog.If you enjoy a hard working breed by all means get one but make sure you have time to train this dog and keep his mind sharp//

• Lyn B

I would say all dogs tend to protect their humans and I'm sure there are some out there that would just enjoy the show.

But Most dogs will lay down their lives for you. And not just shepherds, the tinniest dog will attack your attacker. Never cross a pom or a Chihuahua's owner or you will have your toes chewed off.

I do know of a small pom that protected her Mom from a BIG burly man who broke into their home thinking no one was home. She said it was really funny watching a 280 pound guy running down the street with a mad pom on his ***.

I'm going to have to say that most german shepherds you will see are afraid of their own shadow.

It takes a very stable temperament to be a true protection dog. Real working lined german shepherds are going to excel at that. Your run of the mill backyard bred american lined shepherd, not a chance.

I was really lucky that my dog has that protection drive. He may be lazy and suck at everything else, but he had enough drive and a stable enough temperament that he did decently in protection training. I wasn't able to do much training because I got so busy with school and work, but come spring and summer I want to start back up with it.

Because of this, I KNOW that my dog would protect me under any circumstance. The average poorly bred german shepherd is "tough" and barks because it is really scared of what is coming after it, and is trying to chase said fear off. Fearful dogs are NOT protective dogs.

EDIT: I'm sorry, you are saying I am wrong, but then say the exact same thing I just said.

German shepherds are the third most popular dog in the USA. Therefor, one of the most overbred, poorly bred dogs in the USA. 75% of the german shepherds I see are back yard bred monsters. The kind that would p*ss themselves upon seeing their own shadow.

I NEVER denied a well bred german shepherd would be loyal and protective. I just denied that there were very many of them around.

• magy

Yes, this breed is EXTREMELY loyal, in fact people are often bitten by shepherds when the dog mistakes them for a threat to their owners, wether they really are or not- be aware of this and use caution, this breed wants nothing more than to be with you and watch over you, sometimes to a fault.

The breed is known to be very loyal, protective and muscular to back it up. Just how protective any one dog is depends on so many things... how close the owner/dog are, the dogs individual personality, what the threat it and so on.

I have a GSD/Rottie mix who HAS protected me before....

depends on the dog.

Source(s): Mutt
  • mcally

Chuckles is right. An untrained dog will do good to "protect" itself.

Well, [Love is a GSD], it is obvious that you need to stop looking at the poorly-bred mutts you are calling GSDs and start looking at some genuine GSDs.

• Our first GSD barked at only 2 people before he moved on to be a professional droving dog. The one we could check up on turned out to have a bad reputation for cruelty to horses.

• Our second GSD was from a violently-divorcing home. She would attack anything in trousers unless told they were ok. A car-load of "lads" pestered my bride while she was walking Zacki by the local lake. They got out of their car. Zacki quickly convinced them to get back IN their car and go away.

• "Otto" was a CC-winning show-dog who would prance to the end of his leash to welcome the judge. One day a visitor opened the gate while "Otto" was relaxing on the top terrace. "Otto" threw himself off the terrace (a 7-9 foot drop, depending on whether he touched the bottom terrace or cleared it) and then made the house shake as he threw himself against the gate that the chap just-managed to shut in time - but "Otto" tolerated him once we went out and let the chap in.

Well-bred, well-reared, well-socialised, well-trained GSDs are NOT "afraid of their own shadow". Mine don't like the smell of gunpowder, but snooze on through fireworks, thunder & lightning, and earthquakes up to Richter 5 (we haven't had any bigger than that while I've lived here).

[Pedroia's-etc]:

Why do you NEED protection?

The proper situation is that GSD & owner constitute a pack, with the human as trusted leader. Neither the owner nor the dog should seek situations where attack is needed, but if the leader is confident the dog will confidently support him/her; if the leader is anxious, so will the dog be.

Dogs of people who NEED protection - such as cops, military perimeter guards, security guards - undergo special training that to an outsider LOOKS like the "manwork" section of DogSport (HGH, IPO, SchH) but actually has different requirements and approaches. However, DogSport will establish whether your dog has the courage to stand its ground under threat, or always needs YOU to protect it.

If you are interested in "protection", you should NOT choose your pup yourself, you should be assisted by someone who has had experience using one of the puppy-evaluation tests found at http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/The_GSD_Source/...

And your time until the pup is about 15 months old should be devoted to increasing its calmness & confidence and your verbal control. You are not allowed to begin the agility & courage aspects of SchutzHund work until the dog has passed BH plus deposited enough calcium into its bones for them to take the stresses. To find a club that trains in those disciplines, look your country up in the Links => GSD Clubs section of that group then follow through. Note that the SHOW-IS-ALL clubs do NOT indulge in DogSport. If you can't find one, get back to me via my photo.

To get answers from EXPERIENCED owners, ask your GSD questions in some of the 400+ YahooGroups dedicated to various aspects of living with GSDs. Each group's Home page tells you which aspects they like to discuss, and how active they are.

Les P, owner of GSD_Friendly: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/GSD_Friendly

"In GSDs" as of 1967