Do I have the right to know why Fannie Mae rejected a home appraisal?

This was a short sale. Word came back through lender that Fannie Mae demands the sale price be raised by $40,000 -$50,000 with no explanation. Buyer was given 30 minutes (not kidding) to raise the offer or the whole process terminated.

Before I go looking into this, does anyone know of Fannie Mae internal guidelines as to whether I have the right to know why they did what they did?

Update:

jlk: why do you say that? They essentially said they would accept a higher sale price.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The person or underwriter representing Fannie Mae is attempting to get the best offer possible for the short sale that can be obtained and as close to the mortgage loan balance as possible.

As far as the right of you to know the reason this is a contention that will be argued through the ages as you are the owner of the property but the agreement being made is between the seller and the bank (Lender).

With that in mind I am not sure they would contact you with an explanation.

I hope this has been of some benefit to you, good luck.

"FIGHT ON"

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Its not a rejection of the appraisal like jlk said.

Example: The person offering to buy the house offered $150,000. The appraisal came in at $200,000. Which means the house is worth $200,000. The bank will not sell the house for less than what the house is worth. Thats why Fannie Mae asked them to raise their offer.

• Debdeb
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Other than your opening sentence, there's nothing about the appraisal. FNMA seems to think that the arrangement between you and the lender isn't adequate, and they want at least $50k more.

Did the appraisal indicate the house was less than whatever you offered plus the $40k?

Short sales seem to be pretty high-handed on the seller's part. You'd think that getting something for the house was better than letting it languish in mortgage limbo. The lenders/sellers don't seem to see it that way.

• 4 years ago

most of the Dems offered into the chant John McCain has preached for years decontrol the financial establishments concerning Barney Franks 3 3 hundred and sixty 5 days previous remark they sound precisely LIKW WHAT BUSH and lil bush JOHN McCAIN have been asserting forthe previous a million a million/2 years!!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That is not a rejection of the appraisal. It is a rejection of the proposed short sale.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.