Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

How come Barack Obama never talks about the genocide that took place in East Timor during the late 70's?

I would think he'd have some kind of opinion on it since he was in Indonesia at the time and he was old enough to remember

Update:

You doubt he paid attention to that many killings, because he was between 6 and 10? Well I feel like it's relevant because it establishes his particular feelings toward this country.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Jester
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes. And why does he never talk about my grandmother !?

• 1 decade ago

I think the list goes, Healthcare, economy, keeping the democratic seats in congress, Detroit, why we aren't indicting investment bankers taking home a 10 million retirement bonus for running the company into the ground, pakistan, afganistan, iraq, making sure michelle is on another magazine, whether jon owes kate the money he spent, is jennifer anniston happy, can george clooney win an academy award for being a psychic spy, can the USA have psychic spies, what was the best star wars movie, which beer should we have on draft at the white house, is agent 00293 really the best for my daughters, Do we need an electric fence at the white house for the ***** dog we adopted, do we need alergy medicine because odf the ***** dog i adopted. How am i going to help the USA which I gladffully adopted as my country after being born a Kenyan. I might want to think about the 1970's East Timor people too. You Know, because.... Im' Hope. Change and... Hell, I'm Obama.

• 1 decade ago

Since he was only there between the ages of 6 and 10, I doubt he really paid much attention to it. How much politics did you follow in grade school?

Get a life.

EDIT... I'm terribly sorry, but after reading your additional comments, I realize I misspoke. I thought I was dealing with someone with at least grade school education.

What I meant to say was you are an idiot. How are a 10 year olds memories of a civil war relevant to anything?

• 1 decade ago

It's not as though he's been bombarded with questions about East Timor and has refused to respond. Obviously, it hasn't come up in the conversation.

How often does McCain talk about the Panama Canal?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Big Al
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

The guy hasn't even been in office for a year. Don't you think he has enough problems to deal with that he can at least "try" to fix before he goes around commenting on problems that happened 30 years ago?

Give him until year 2 of his second term before you start criticizing him over crap like this. Lets fix health care, the economy, the real estate crisis, etc. first!

• 1 decade ago

What's that got to do with America in 2009?

• Nate
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Because no one has asked him about it and it'd be incredibly random to just bring up something that happened 30 years ago that may have been quite unsettling.

• 1 decade ago

How come bush didn't warn us that the twin towers were going to be knocked down? why was he in the middle of a classroom reading a book upside-down when america was being attacked?

• 1 decade ago

Maybe he has an opinion but there are plenty of more current matters for him to deal with.

• 1 decade ago

Because that was 30 years ago

• oliver
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

good question, he runs his mouth about stuff that happened over two centuries ago in order to get votes

what is thirty years, that's even more recent than when "selma got him born" retroactively

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.