women who have been through this..how bad does a mammogram hurt & what can i do to minimize the pain?

okay so i'm 40 now, and i am going to have my first mammogram.

i want to know, beforehand, how much it really hurts. i want to know what to expect, but also if it is possible, any techniques, that you or someone you know has used to minimize the pain.

so please, tell me, how bad does it hurt?

and is there anyway to minimize the pain?

• Dawn M
    Favorite Answer

it is a bit uncomfortable, but not horrible. they have to have it press it inbetween the insturment so they can get a good reading. (sorry but dont know the exact name of it) if you take your hand and squeeze one of your breasts thats how it feels. but remember, it is a nessarry thing to have done.

It feels like your breast is being badly squeezed each way each time as each one is done. It hurts for only a few seconds. It helps to take a deep breath and hold it when she tells you and try not to move. The new machines now take the image so you don't have to wait around to find out if you need to retake any. If the tech is good, it won't hurt much and you won't get bruised. Try to go in the day time.

I am a C cup and I really don't do anything special to minimize the brief pain other than what I said above. It helps to know it will be done soon and it's worth the pain once a year.

They recommend doing it after your period due to less water in them, but I couldn't always do that; especially now with my periods not being exact. Try taking a pain reliever beforehand.

Source(s): I'm 47 and have been having mammograms since age 36.

You should use Tramadol, it is the best about it you can get information from here http://doctors5.notlong.com/5AAkUua