Emma
Lv 5
Emma asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 1 decade ago

What is "Aboriginal Nationalism", in Canada?

How wide spread is it?

How common?

Is the Aboriginal population boom increasing the movement?

Update:

@SnowDrop: How is theis not interesting?

Update 2:

@Salma: Thanks, but that is not quite what I wanted. I want to know about "Aboriginal Natinolisim".

Update 3:

@Flogget: Abroiginal means "Natives", so you could call Australian, Canadian, American, Mexican, New Zealand etc. natives Aboriginal. However the term is most used in Canada and Australia.

Update 4:

@Smile: That seems to be a lower estimate. Some sources claim 6% by 2020.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Aboriginal Nationalism is continent wide. The three Aboriginal groups in Canada the Inuit, First Nations and Métis each have their own distinct structure and relationship with Canada.

As the name suggests the First Nations are Nations as recognized through “treaties“. Treaties are agreements made between ‘Nations‘. As Nations, First Nations have a government-to-government relationship with Canada.

First Nations have their own money. That money is held "IN TRUST" by Canada and is used to provide services to First Nations. Taxes provide services to citizens of Canada. Since the First Nations pay for their own services the First Nations are not taxed in the same manner as Canadian citizens. If First Nation people reside or work outside the First Nations they are taxed in the same manner as any other Canadian resident.

Indian Moneys Program

http://www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/br/bm/imp-eng.asp

In 1962 Canada declared First Nation citizens of Canada. For the First Nations there was no real benefit in citizenship. For many even the right to vote was not possible until the 1970s (the result of legislation). So, many First Nation people only consider themselves citizens of their own Nations.

First Nations have highly structured local, regional, provincial and national alliances as well as international alliances in many areas. The first level is the reserve/community level, which may also include local regional areas. The second level is the “Nation” (for example, Cree, Anishinaabe, Haudenosaune) which includes wide regional areas. Then there is a Provincial level and finally a National level.

The reserve system segregated First Nations from Canadian society. As a result, First Nations have had to build their own political/societal infrastructures totally separate from Canadian society.

First Nations have developed their own educational system, social/medical/legal services, music/media industry, political structures etc. Therefore, First Nations are totally separate from Canadian society, economically, socially and politically.

The Inuit have their own Territory/province so their structure is similar to any other province. The Métis have their feet in two worlds. They are more or less Canadian citizens due to the government stripping away their “Indian Status” during colonization. Although they have their own structure the Métis have a loose alliance with the First Nations.

The three Aboriginal groups have different issues and concerns. They have different relationships with Canada. But Canadian Aboriginals share the same struggle to survive in their homeland, which is the foundation of Aboriginal Nationalism.

This is the same struggle of all indigenous people of the Americas, and the basis of the international alliances.

Lv 6
    1 decade ago

hmmm

1) In 2006, 3.8% of canada had natives in it

Of the three Aboriginal groups,

North American Indians (698,025) had the largest populaion,

followed by Métis (389,780),

and Inuits (50,480).

2) Ontario and the four western provinces had the largest Aboriginal populations in 2006, ranging from 242,495 in Ontario to 141,890 in Saskatchewan.

3) Canada's Aboriginal population is growing faster than the general population, increasing by 20.1% from 2001 to 2006. This is due to a higher fertility rate among Aboriginal women than among other Canadian women. Of the three Aboriginal groups (North American Indian, Métis, Inuit), Métis had the largest population growth, with an increase of 33.3% between 2001 and 2006.

Population projections estimate that Aboriginal people could account for 4.1% of Canada's population by 2017, but this proportion would be significantly larger in Saskatchewan (20.8%) and Manitoba (18.4%).

edit: well then either one of our sources are wrong (most likely mine) or there's 1.9% increase from 2017 to 2120

Source(s): http://www4.hrsdc.gc.ca/.3ndic.1t.4r@-eng.jsp?iid=... Sorry if this is the wrong answer
  • reuter
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Canada is a pluralist u . s .. Our 2d language is French. i assume u . s . is a rustic not till it grew to grow to be a state whilst all the states are united. i'm guessing that there are not many natives around whilst they named 'u . s .' and whilst they are forming the U.S, the natives are rapidly ditched and that they are out of business enterprise, the united statesbecame created by ability of a bloody conflict, by way of fact i assume they have extra men and rigidity. As you will see cities and places in California are all Spanish names by way of fact it became an ex colony of Spain. There are additionally distinctive names in each state originated from distinctive international locations in Europe.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Canada's culture, like the cultures of other western nations, has primarily European roots. Canadian customs and values (as well as heritage) are derived mainly from Britain, France, Ireland and the local Aboriginal peoples. All together more than 54% of Canadians are of either British, Irish or French descent with a little over a quarter of the population being of mixed origin. Most of Canada's traditions and customs have uniquely evolved in many ways over the centuries, though they have their origin ...

Source(s): wikipedia
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Sorry, but I've never heard that term refer to anyone except Australian natives. I don't know.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i thought aboriginies (or however you spell them) lived in austrailia. sorry forgive me for my ignorance

____

oh cool thnx for the info:)

• eh.. how is this interesting?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.