Pocohantas and John Smith? How did she save him and why? Have to write a poem about this for school- help?!?

Hi.

I need to write a poem as pocohantas, from her perspective in order to persuade her father not to kill John Smith.

I'm good with poems and can do this, but I can't seem to find any infortmation on John smith & pocohantas.! I need to know why she saved him, so i have reasons in the poem persuading her father. Can somebody please help me out and tell em a little bit about pocohantas and John Smith?!

Also, I tried to do research, but got a bunch of extra infortmationn that I didn't need, so i decided to come to you guys.

Just think about what info you would ened to do this poem!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

well, according to the cartoon made by disney, it was because they were in love and he wanted to save her lover. BUT actual history says the following:

In Captain John Smith's Generall Historie of Virginia, New-England, and the Summer Isles, published in 1624, he tells of being taken as a captive in December 1607, to Werowocomoco, the capitol of Pocahontas' father Powhatan. He evidently was about to be killed when, according to Smith, Pocahontas suddenly flung herself across his body in an attempt to prevent his death.

If the incident really happened we have only the word of John Smith to go by. The theories run, if the incident actually happened, from the act being a symbolic ceremony to a public acknowledgment that Powhatan, through his daughter, was adopting Smith in to the tribe.

Another probable myth that writers and historians have considerably enjoyed pouncing upon is the creation of a romance between Pocahontas and Captain Smith. Of course, such a thing is and was possible. However, Captain John Smith was born in about 1579, meaning he was at the ripe old age of about twenty-eight when he came to Jamestown. Pocahontas, born around 1596, was some seventeen years younger than Smith was. Smith was already a young man of the world when Pocahontas was a swaddled papoose peering from her cradleboard.

Now things to consider when trying to write from this angle :

John Smith was 28 years old

Pocahontas (The name Pocahontas was a nickname meaning the Playful One. The child's correct name was Matoaka.) only 10 or 11.

So you can either write it from a disney aspect, one where they are the same age and deeply in love and they are both trying to get everyone to understand that they are all people and that their skin colors and cultural differences shouldnt matter....

OR

you could write it from the aspect of a 10 year old child

If the incident really happened we have only the word of John Smith to go by. The theories run, if the incident actually happened, from the act being a symbolic ceremony to a public acknowledgment that Powhatan, through his daughter, was adopting Smith in to the tribe.

you should also find out which way your teacher believes...if you flow with their ideas, you might get a better grade ;)

Source(s): If the incident really happened we have only the word of John Smith to go by. The theories run, if the incident actually happened, from the act being a symbolic ceremony to a public acknowledgment that Powhatan, through his daughter, was adopting Smith in to the tribe. Read more: http://americanhistory.suite101.com/article.cfm/po...
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Human feelings can come out in varying read and/or misread ways.You can try using a dictionary to improve your general vocabulary and your vocabulary regarding rhymed words and sentences before using them in a practice of writing poems or any other forms of expressive texts.But the less you use them the more likely you are to feel like you forgot about them,i guess.You could try to write down or type up normal sentences first before trying to replace some words with rhyming synonyms or words.It can take time but then again,time will keep on going anyways.So even if you failed and felt like switching to another subjectively easier form of exaggerated expression,it may not seem like a waste of time if you did not think and feel so.You could read poems and/or use that desire of writing poems in,for example,trying to write a poem about the act of writing poems and your relative feelings and points(if you felt such a desire while googling some perhaps relatively discouraging-from a way of looking at it-stuff)...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Capt. John Smith leads a rag-tag band of English sailors & soldiers to the New World to plunder its riches for England (or, more precisely, for Governor Ratcliffe, who comes along for the ride). Meanwhile, in this "New World," Chief Powhatan has pledged his daughter, Pocahontas, to be married to the village's greatest warrior. Pocahontas, however, has other ideas. She has seen a vision of a spinning arrow, a vision she believes tells her change is coming. Her life does indeed change when the English ship lands near her village. Between Ratcliffe, who believes the "savages" are hiding the gold he expected to be plentiful, and Powhatan, who believes these pale newcomers will destroy their land, Smith and Pocahontas have a difficult time preventing all-out war, and saving their love for each other.

not sure if this is what you were looking for, hope it helps.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.