My 2003 Chevrolet Impala is eating oil?

It seems like every 700-1000 miles, I have to add a quart of oil. I checked the coolant and its all brown, but the car isn't overheating and its not foamy or anything and there is no foam on the oil dipstick either. I use Penzoil platinum 5W30 and STP oil treatment. The car drives fine and there is no white or blue smoke comming from the exhaust. I have 106,000 miles on the vehical.

Favorite Answer

First thing I would check is the spark plugs to see if there black.

Then do a compresson check.

You more then likely will have 1 or 2 low readings. they'll be the bad cylinders.

Could be a blown head gasket or bad rings.

Remove the heads and look at all the cylinders to see if there is any damags. If not get a valve job done, new gaskets,reassemble and do anouther compression test.

A set of new plugs and hopefully your good to go.

Its a weekend job.

• Pat

The car's obviously burning oil, or you have a major oil leak, check your driveway for the spot... if that's not the case, piston rings are often the culprit of something like this, or the fact the cylinder walls are bored out from excessive wear due to half-assed maintenance.

Your best advice is to go into a new car dealer and buy another used one from them and trade your old car in. They will most likely wholesale it out while giving you a good price on it on a trade in. Check with a credit union to see what they will loan on it and what the car your buying is actually worth and that of your trade in. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Source(s): Same thing happened to a friend of mine. Her car was fried, and the oil pressure gauge told her she was in trouble. Her car was "worth" what they traded it in for. They didn't bother checking it and there was no way she was going to pawn off that turkey on a private party sale.

Well what do you expect 4 the car to run forever without adding oil? You sound like a woman but if you're not "good luck"!!

Source(s): Common sense.

My car goes through a lot of oil too. There is nothing you can do besides buy a new engine, or just keep pouring in more oil every month.

• ken k

get rid of the stp/the car needs lubrication circulation not that glue

It's in need of an overhaul.