Help with conversation starters?

I work at a somewhat fast food chain. (Fro-yo) I will get fired very soon if I don't start having personal conversations with EVERY customer. I have been working there for about a year and a half and I am the assistant manager. They told me I only have my position because I am the only one in the store that... show more I work at a somewhat fast food chain. (Fro-yo) I will get fired very soon if I don't start having personal conversations with EVERY customer. I have been working there for about a year and a half and I am the assistant manager. They told me I only have my position because I am the only one in the store that understands how to run a business. However, my customer service sucks. I try to make small talk, but I am extremely shy around people I don't know so if I don't really get a response from the customer I don't really try to pry into their lives. That's something I hate about Starbucks because every time I go I feel like I am being interrogated. I don't want my customers to feel creeped out when they leave. So, I just stick to my very friendly helpful attitude. I work in a hotel so most of the time I can ask where they are visiting from, how they like our city...but half of the time if I don't get an initial response I feel like it is just weird for every one.
I have had plenty of great letters sent to our corporate office and reviews online saying "If you go to...go see...because she is so sweet and will make sure you leave with the perfect yogurt..." But, my store said that being sweet is not their standards, and bubbly conversation is. Even though we have a few complaints a week about how weirded out a customer is that we have a conversation with them and just pretend that they are answering our questions.
So real question, does anyone have any ideas about things I can say to have a conversation or try to get them to respond or stuff I can just talk about that doesn't need a response.
I would love to get another job but I can't really find anything that will pay my as much as I make where I don't have to talk to anyone.