How is it possible that I am able to choose my cable/phone/electric/water/etc provider?

I don't understand how it is possible to open up utilities for competition. Take electricity for example. If I have one set of electrical wires running into my house from the telephone pole that has the same wires going to me neighbor, how can he have a different electrical company than me? I don't... show more I don't understand how it is possible to open up utilities for competition. Take electricity for example. If I have one set of electrical wires running into my house from the telephone pole that has the same wires going to me neighbor, how can he have a different electrical company than me? I don't understand how two different companies can sell me the same service over the same equipment. Wouldn't they each need to have their own set of electrical/phone/cable lines running to my house?