Please recommend your favorite fiction novel/author?

Please recommend a book or author you enjoy, however, there are some standards I'd like you to meet, if you don't mind: -Nothing from the teen section. -No overly romantic or erotic novels; that's really not my taste. -No 'classics'. Don't get me wrong, I've read many and quite... show more Please recommend a book or author you enjoy, however, there are some standards I'd like you to meet, if you don't mind:

-Nothing from the teen section.
-No overly romantic or erotic novels; that's really not my taste.
-No 'classics'. Don't get me wrong, I've read many and quite enjoy them, but the whole point of this question is that I'm trying to expand my modern literature collection.

Thanks for your time and effort.
Take care,
Mina
Update: Thank-you everyone for your recommendations, I will look up all of them soon! Thanks especially for your detailed answer, Jack, and I do agree that the Harry Potter books, while quite well-written, didn't evoke a lot of interest from me. And (sorry to repeat this word) thanks for the extra comment, but I... show more Thank-you everyone for your recommendations, I will look up all of them soon!
Thanks especially for your detailed answer, Jack, and I do agree that the Harry Potter books, while quite well-written, didn't evoke a lot of interest from me.
And (sorry to repeat this word) thanks for the extra comment, but I don't understand what's amazing about this question? :S