promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

Was it the English or the Dutch that actually created the United States of America?

I always get confused who actually made this country.

I know the Spaniards were the first to settle in this country.

But I'm talking about the actual ones who built this country

Update:

Wow both of you're answers aren't even close to helping me.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well it was mainly English but it was formed from people from different countries in Europe. See this timetable:

TIMELINE OF IMMIGRATION TO U.S. 1815-1950

1815: The first great wave of immigration begins, bringing 5 million immigrants between 1815 and 1860.

1818: Liverpool becomes the most-used port of departure for Irish and British immigrants.

1819: The first federal legislation on immigration requires notation of passenger lists.

1820: The U.S. population is about 9.6 million. About 151,000 new immigrants arrive in 1820 alone.

1825: Great Britain decrees that England is overpopulated and repeals laws prohibiting emigration. The first group of Norwegian immigrants arrive.

1846-7: Crop failures in Europe. Mortgage foreclosures send tens of thousands of the dispossessed to United States.

1846: Irish of all classes emigrate to the United States as a result of the potato famine.

1848: German political refugees emigrate following the failure of a revolution.

1862: The Homestead Act encourages naturalization by granting citizens title to 160 acres.

1875: First limitations on immigration. Residency permits required of Asians.

1880: The U.S. population is 50,155,783. More than 5.2 million immigrants enter the country between 1880 and 1890.

1882: Chinese exclusion law is established. Russian anti-Semitism prompts a sharp rise in Jewish emigration.

1890: New York is home to as many Germans as Hamburg, Germany.

1891: The Bureau of Immigration is established. Congress adds health qualifications to immigration restrictions.

1892: Ellis Island replaces Castle Garden.

1894-6: To escape Moslem massacres, Armenian Christians emigrate.

1897: Pine-frame buildings on Ellis Island are burned to the ground in a disastrous fire.

1900: The U.S. population is 75,994,575. More than 3,687,000 immigrants were admitted in the previous ten years. Ellis Island receiving station reopens with brick and ironwork structures.

1906: Bureau of Immigration is established.

1910: The Mexican Revolution sends thousands to the United States seeking employment.

1914-8: World War I halts a period of mass migration to the United States.

1921: The first quantitave immigration law sets temporary annual quotas according to nationality. Immigration drops off.

1924: The National Origins Act establishes a discriminatory quota system. The Border Patrol is established.

1940: The Alien Registration Act calls for registration and fingerprinting of all aliens. Approximately 5 million aliens register.

1946: The War Brides Act facilitates the immigration of foreign-born wives, fiances, husbands, and children of U.S. Armed Forces personnel.

1952: The Immigration and Naturalization Act brings into one comprehensive statute the multiple laws that govern immigration and naturalization to date.

1954: Ellis Island closes, marking an end to mass immigration.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Phil
    Lv 7
    6 years ago

It depends on what you consider creating the US to mean. Tell us what "create" and "The United States of America" means exactly as applied to your question. In the meantime I'll give the best answer I can...

The Dutch settled a colony in the area of New York, but the English took it over long before the US became even a concept. The Dutch had only a very minorrole in colonial history, which I define as "prior to 1776 and the Revolution).

The English settled most of the East Coast and made 13 colonies, each separately governed but all English, and not one nation. These inhabitants and immigrants became the people who came to be called "Americans". These people considered themselves English until the Revolution, which is the creating event of the United States in most senses. OTOH the US Constitution was adopted by "Americans" as we were no longer English by that time we had been independent for a decade.

As to who built the country there were immigrants from everywhere who did that. The largest single group was the Germans in the mid 1800's and onward.

• 4 years ago

I consider Picador, the English had a considered necessary function in American background however the Dutch too, they further freedom of religion, pluralism and the huge company to the rustic. however the individuals themselves did the a good style of the difficult paintings :D

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Your question is completely non-specific. Your country is enormous and settlers came from many nations. By 'built' do you mean literally who laid the bricks and the roads? Or who funded the infrastructure, or designed it? Or who created the laws and rules? Or the education system? The hospitals? What?! I think many contributed, didn't they? From the people in charge to the slaves.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Feisty
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Neither -- Americans did.

By the time the US was created, the colonists regarded themselves as "Americans".

However, don't forget the French settled a lot of the area too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.