The age of my adopted dog?

I just adopted a dog a few days ago and the people at the shelter said he was 5. today we looked on the vet report and it said he thought the dog was 10. Now his teeth are really bad but that could be to poor care, and i dont see any cataracks, my mom says she can see a little bit. But how are we supposed to... show more I just adopted a dog a few days ago and the people at the shelter said he was 5. today we looked on the vet report and it said he thought the dog was 10. Now his teeth are really bad but that could be to poor care, and i dont see any cataracks, my mom says she can see a little bit.

But how are we supposed to know the true age of a dog? We just had a dog die and now if this one is old and close to death that will just be terrible! We will keep him regardless of age but how do you know the age? I have put a picture of him on here tell me how old you think he is.

http://s759.photobucket.com/albums/xx232/asmusjamie/?action=view&current=teddy1.jpg

copy paste into browser and look at the three pictures i have posted

thanks