Good family area in North Carolina?

My family is considering moving to North Carolina. Could someone tell me a good family part of North Carolina. Like where a nice big high school is and where there is stuff to do and it's pleasant, pretty, and safe?

I forgot to add if you know of any specific neighborhoods that would be great :)

Favorite Answer

Ignore all of the other answers! If you are looking for pleasant, pretty, safe, and good schools, CARY is the place for you. I have lived in 3 other NC towns (Charlotte, Wilmington, and Greensboro), and Cary is by far the best place I have ever lived.

We are close to everything (minutes from downtown Raleigh, several major universities, museums, parks, etc.), and yet it still feels like we live in a small town.

I have included some info below from the Town of Cary's website. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me via Yahoo Answers. :)

About Cary

Cary is a thriving community in the heart of the Triangle area of North Carolina, between Raleigh and renowned Research Triangle Park. The Triangle area repeatedly has ranked among the top regions in the country to live or work, to find a home or start a business, to raise a family or retire.

The January 2004 issue of Money Magazine names Cary, N.C. the hottest town in the East and one of six Hottest Towns in America.In August 2006, Cary was again recognized by Money Magazine as one of the Best Small Cities in America, ranking fifth on the magazine's 2006 list of Best Places to Live.

Cary weather

On the whole, Caryites are a blessed, hard-working group with one of the highest median household incomes in the state. And being no further than 20 minutes from major universities such as Duke, North Carolina State, and the University of North Carolina, it's no wonder that education is an important part of Cary life. More than two-thirds of adults hold a college degree. Nearly 9 in 10 citizens have access to the Internet in this, the Technology Town of North Carolina.

Cary embraces the best of city life:

Our sense of security - Cary continually ranks as one of the top 20 safest large cities nationally and the safest in the Southeast. Its Police and Fire departments and Emergency Medical Services are nationally accredited.

Livability - Tree-lined streets and well-groomed subdivisions and office parks show Cary has grown the right way.

Vibrancy - Cary is home to world class businesses and national retail stores. Our fast-growing Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources program has something for everyone, regardless of age or interest.

Diversity - School-age children comprise nearly a quarter of Cary's population. Yet people of retirement age are the fastest-growing group in Cary. Fourteen percent of townspeople were born in another country, and the Asian population - Cary's largest minority - tripled during the 1990s.

A progressive approach to challenge - Cary is proactive. We're conserving drinking water by reclaiming treated wastewater for irrigation and industrial processes, preserving open space, and working with citizens and county leaders to make our schools even better.

Yet we've remained the Town of Cary while growing to more than 100,000 people.

At the Town of Cary, we focus every day on enriching the lives of our citizens by creating an exceptional environment and providing exemplary services that enable our community to thrive and prosper.

Cary by the Numbers

137,483 (October 2009)

3.63 percent increase since October 2008

4.84 percent annual population growth rate (October 01, 2004 to October 01, 2009)

Median age - 33.7 years (2000 Census)

I've lived in NC all my life. Both Charlotte and Raleigh are good areas. There are a lot of small cities on the outskirts of Raleigh that are booming. You can get a lot for your money out there. And it is also nice, because Raleigh is about a 20-minute drive. So you can live near the city, not in it. Clayton is about 20 minutes from Raleigh, and is one of the fastest growing cities right now in the area (Communities: Flowers Plantation and Riverwood are very popular) When you come this summer I'd say to visit Cary, NC, Clayton, NC, & Garner, NC. If you want to live in Raleigh, then North or West Raleigh is really nice.

There are a lot of great cities in NC. Durham and Raleigh are always listed in the top 100 cities in the US to live in. I live in Fayetteville, near Fort Bragg. It's about an hour away from the bigger cities, two hours from the beach, and four from the mountains. There are plenty of great schools in Fayetteville, plus, NC is a school of choice state, so if the schools in your district are no good, you can send your children elsewhere.

Greensboro, Concord, are good places. I live in Greensboro. i love it. good schools, lots to job, close to Burlington, Winston-Salem, about and 1.5 hours from Raleigh and Charlotte. About 3.5 hours from beach and the same to Mountains. If interested in moving to G'boro send me back a response and I'll be glad to provide more input.

Tri-State area, Murphy NC, Tenn. & GA

Even the winter theres things to do :)