Thanksgiving Help!!!!?

Does anyone want to share recipes? I need some new ideas.

Favorite Answer

I made these last year and OMG they were seriously the best recipes I've had for Thanksgiving in a long time. I actually ate the food and liked it! rofl.

-------

Cornbread Stuffing

(it tastes NOTHING like regular stuffing and is surprisingly delicious)

*2 cups all-purpose flour

*2 cups cornmeal

*2 tbsp baking powder

*1tsp salt

*4tbsp white sugar

*5 eggs, beaten

*6tbsp butter, melted

*3 cups buttermilk

*2tbsp salt

*2tsp ground white pepper

*2tsp ground black pepper

*2tsp onion powder

*4tsp dried oregano

*2tsp dried thyme

*6tbsp chopped fresh basil

*4 bay leaves

*1 cup minced onion

*1 cup chopped green onions

*1 cup chopped fresh parsley

*2 cups red bell pepper, chopped (I actually think I omitted this but it's on the recipe)

*2 tbsp minced garlic

*1 cup butter

*2 cups chicken stock

*2 cups evaporated milk

*7 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C). Butter one 13 x 9 inch pan.

Prepare the cornbread by combining the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, 1 tsp salt, and sugar; mix well.

Mix together the 5 eggs, 6 tbsp melted butter and buttermilk. Add wet to dry ingredients and mix until no dry ingredients remain. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake until top is browned and a toothpick comes out clean, about 55 minutes. Allow to cool completely.

In a small bowl combine the 2 tbsp salt with the white pepper, black pepper, onion powder, oregano, thyme, basil, and bay leaves.

In another bowl combine the minced onions, green onions, parsley, and garlic.

Melt one cup butter in a large fry pan. Add the spices and cook for a few minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook about 5 minutes - do not allow the peppers to brown. Add the stock. Stir and cook 5 minutes more. Crumble the cornbread into the skillet and mix. Add the evaporated milk and 7 eggs OFF THE HEAT. Make sure to stir well when adding the eggs. Return to low heat and cook, stirring, for about 2 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Place stuffing in a bowl and cover. Cool before stuffing turkey.

--------------

Green Bean Casserole

(this was so cheesy and milky that it was completely un-boring)

*2 tbsp butter

*2 tbsp all-purpose flour

*1 tsp salt

*1 tsp white sugar

*1/4 cup onion, diced

*1 cup sour cream

*3 (14.5 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained

*2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

*1/2 cup crumbled buttery round crackers (or those dried onion thingies for casseroles)

*1 tbsp butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).

Melt 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth and cook for one minute. Sit in the salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream. Add green beans, and stir to coat.

Transfer the mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish. Spread shredded cheese over the top. In a small bowl, toss together cracker crumbs (or onion things) and remaining butter, and sprinkle over the cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top is golden and cheese is bubbly.

------------

Potato Bacon and Cheese Chowder

(if you like having soup for Thanksgiving, this was fairly decent. It wasn't my favorite but everyone else really liked it...)

*2 cups peeled, cubed potatoes

*1 cup chicken broth

*8 bacon strips

*1 cup chopped onion

*1 cup chopped carrots

*1/2 cups chopped celery

*1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted

*1 3/4 cups milk

*1 cup sour cream

*2 tbsp cornstarch

*dash pepper

*1 tbsp minced fresh parsley

*1 lb Velveeta

In a covered 3 qt. saucepan, cook potatoes in chicken broth until tender. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. In the same skillet, saute onion, carrots and celery in drippings until tender; drain. Add to undrained potatoes. Stir in soup, milk, sour cream, cornstarch, and pepper. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes until heated through (do not boil). Crumble bacon; set aside 1/4 cup. Add remaining bacon to soup along with parsley. Remove from heat and add Velveeta. Let rest covered until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with reserved bacon.

-----------

Sweet Potato Casserole

(This is my mom's recipe and it is divine. It just doesn't feel like Thanksgiving without a nice bowl of sweet potato casserole! <3 )

*3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potaotoes

*1 cup white sugar

*2 eggs

*1/2 cup butter

*1/2 tsp vanilla extract

*1 cup packed brown sugar

*1/3 cup all-purpose flour

*1 cup chopped pecans

*1/3 cup butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 C).

Mix the mashed sweet potaotes, white sugar, eggs, 1/2 cup of the butter, and vanilla. Place in a 2 quart sized casserole dish.

Mix the brown sugar, flour, pecans, and the remaining 1/3 cup of butter or margarine. Sprinkle over the top of the potato mixture.

Bake for 30 minutes.

-----------

So...like I said, I made those last Thanksgiving and they were really good. I hope you find something you like. ^.~

Source(s): From All-Recipes.com and my mom's cookbook. They were all tested and they passed my rigorous standards. rofl.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake

4 packages cream cheese

2 eggs

splash of vanilla

1/4 cup sugar

2 Tablespoons milk

ice cream caramel sauce

pie filling apples

graham crust

put the cream cheese (cubed) in a food processor with eggs, sugar, milk, and vanilla. I always make sure to taste the mixture because I don't measure the ingredients (been making this forever) and some times the mood moves me to use a little more sugar. If the consistancy is thick add another Tablesppon of milk. Bake in the oven

and when cooled top with apple pie filling and drizzle caramel over top. Sometimes when the cheeesecake firms in the oven I pull it out and bake for the last 10 minutes or so with the apples on top then add caramel when I take it out.

VERY Tasty!

I also make a cookie platter, sausage and apple stuffing, mashed potatoes, corn, sweet potatoes with marshmellows, and home made cranberry sauce.

Source(s): A jillion requests for this at parties

always a hit with everyone who tries it

a great desert!

Toffee Cashew Bars:

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

2 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 cup confectioners' sugar

1 cup butter, softened

1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups cashews

1 (6 ounce) package toffee baking bits

Add to Recipe Box

My folders:

Add to Shopping List

Customize Recipe

Add a Personal Note

DIRECTIONS

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch baking pan.

In a medium bowl, mix together the flour and confectioners' sugar. Rub in the butter until no noticeable lumps remain. Press the flour mixture evenly onto the bottom of the prepared 9x13 inch pan.

Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm. While the crust is baking, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, egg, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir in the cashews and toffee bits. When the crust comes out of the oven, spread the nut mixture over it, and return to the oven.

Bake for an additional 18 to 23 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool in pan completely before cutting into 1x2 inch bars.

Best, easiest side I have ever made.

Get some fresh yams (not sweet potatoes, this dish really needs yams), the golden ones are better, but ruby is just fine too. Peel them and slice them -- you want about 1 medium yam for every 2 people, or what you think your folks will eat. Peel and slice about 1 in thick or cut into 1 in chunks if you'd rather. Butter your slow cooker and open a can of crushed pineapple in juice, Put a thin layer of the pineapple in the bottom of the slow cooker, then a layer of the yams about 2 in deep, another layer of pineapple, but sprinkle on some ginger and nutmeg and a pinch of salt. I use about 1/4 tsp of ginger and about half that of nutmeg on each layer in my round 4 qt. cooker -- you can use a little more if you really like the ginger. Continue to layer yams and pineapple, spicing each layer of pineapple until you have used all the yams. Finish with pineapple on the top. Be sure that you pour in all the juice from the pineapple, too.

Cover and cook on high just long enough to bring it to a simmer, then on low for as long as you want but at least 4 hours if you used slices -- chunks may take a little less, but test for tenderness about an hour before you want to serve, and turn the heat back to high if they don't seem to be tender yet.

I hate yams, and tasted this for courtesy when my SIL made it a few years ago. It has been a staple for turkey and ham meals in my house ever since. I have not served it to anyone who didn't like it

Ham is not new, but this tastes just like "Honey Baked Ham!!" It tastes awesome! I got this recipe from allrecipes.com. I just used like a few tabs of butter, probably under 1/4 cup. Even though I'm a butter lover, this recipe is better without all the butter.

If you decide to make it, you'll want the honey/butter mixture to have just a tiny hint of butter -- I also don't use the corn syrup, just the brown sugar.

===

Cheesy Cauliflower Casserole

4 ounces saltine crackers

1/2 cup butter

1 large head cauliflower, steamed

1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk

1 cup mayonnaise

1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat your oven's broiler.

Crumble salted crackers into a small bowl and mash them with butter until soft. Place steamed cauliflower into a 9x13 inch casserole dish.

In small saucepan, combine milk and mayonnaise with wire whisk. Bring the mixture to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in cheese until melted. Pour this sauce over the cauliflower. Crumble the butter and cracker mixture over the cheese and cauliflower.

Place the casserole into the preheated oven and broil until golden brown.

=======================================