Woman wants dress back after 5 years and I can't find it. Help?

5 years ago, I was in a dance recital. A woman in the recital let me wear her bridesmaid/prom-like dress for the dance. When the dance was over, I told her I would take it off and give it right back. She said no, that I could just keep it because she didn't need it anymore.

Today, 5 years later, she called me saying she wants that dress back because she is getting married. The bad news? I can't find it! I thought I had kept it in my closet, but it is not there, so I must have gotten rid of it. I never thought she'd ask for it back. Thought she would have done that 5 years ago, after the dance! What should I do? Should I offer to buy her a new one? I am willing to make amends, but I don't want to have her take advantage of me. It's very, very odd that she expects it back after such a long time, but I don't want to be mean about it. I want to make things right so she isn't mad.

What should I do?

Favorite Answer

Is she kidding? 5 years!? Come on, I mean you probably don't even half of your own clothes that you had 5 years ago!

Say you are very sorry, but as you had no idea that she would want the dress back you no longer have it. Remind her that she told you that she didn't want it back, so you didn't think it would be important to hold on to it. (after all your closet is not her storage shed!)

You do not need to offer to buy her a new dress. Obviously she is a cheap *** and is probably banking on that fact that you don't have it anymore and that you will be nice and buy her a new one. And anyway, who would wear a 5 year old dress to their own wedding? Yuck!

This would be different if a week later she had asked for it back, but 5 years? No.

I would tell her sorry but I don't have it anymore. The fact that 5 years later she would even expect you to have it is just dumb. I've got my own prom dress from back in the day but if someone let me have a dress for one event and I never wore it again then I'm sure I would have gotten rid of it too. If she brings up compensation I would ask her if that's fair after she told you to keep it cause she didn't need it anymore and 5 years later!?! However you did say you would like to make amends do maybe offer to pay for 1/2 of a new dress, that's depends totally on the value of the dress she gave you. Good luck!

Be honest and say you no longer have the dress. I would not offer to pay for a 5 year old dress - she need to get a life. If she doesn't want to speak to you - Than the word is "WhatEver"

In my opinion she gave it to you as a gift, therefore it was yours to keep, throw away, give away, sell, tear up, praise, dance in, whatever. The point is, you were the owner of it from her words "No dont give it back, you could just keep it because I dont need it anymore" so you have the legal right to do whatever you wanted with it. Especially after 5 years. Trust me, you dont owe her squat!

• Hannah

U get an operation for that.Get operated but u cant hav kids, so save ur sperm in a sperm bank Do it only after thinking if u really wanna b a gal n wont miss bein a guy. Consider it It d be better to consult a psychiatrist n learn how 2 love ur own gender.

What size was it? I do not think that she could fit into it now. After five yrs it would tech be your dress. Why didn't she wanted it sooner. Maybe you should gave the dress back much sooner,

While it may be uncomfortable tell her the truth. You thought it was a gift and you appreciated the kindness, though now the dress is gone. You're not sure where it is. Wish her every good luck with her marriage. Say good-bye. Hang up. Feel good.

• boots6

Tell her you're sorry but when she GAVE it to you, it was a gift. And in the many years since you have gotten rid of it. It's not your reponsibility to buy her a new one. She should look for a new one herself.

If she is getting married, why would she want too in an old dress.

She gave it too you and after 5 years who would expect you to still have it. You owe her nothing.

• eyJude

Tell her your sorry but the dress is gone. That she gave it to you and you didn't have need for it so you gave it to a ..... charity or something.

She doesn't have the right to be mad since she gave it to you.