Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

Diagnosed with acute myeloid leukemia?

I'm 15 years old(bday today ) and was diagnosed with AML today. I'm in the hosp right and my oncologist will cells back later to discuss things in detail. So she said I had a pre-leukemia syndrome thaT progressed into AML. So what exactly is AML? Is it treatednwith lotsnof chemotherapy ? She also mentioned something about a port? Ph any advi e or similar stories are appreciated. Thanks!!

I meant to say that my oncologist will come back later, not cells backnl later. Sorry I'm on my I-touch.

Favorite Answer

First of all happy birthday! AML isn't such a great birthday present eh? Since you posted this question 3 days ago I'm guessing you have probably already started treatment. What you had was probably Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS). It used to be called pre-leukemia but that term has gone out of general use because it is not, at that stage, leukemia. Untreated, MDS will likely advance into AML leukemia.

AML is a cancer of the bone marrow that produces blood cells. The cancerous cells essentially push out the healthy bone marrow cells and take over producing ineffective or even cancerous blood cells. The typical treatment is chemotherapy. Depending on the subtype you have been diagnosed with your chemotherapy cocktail may be different from that of my son's. I can give you more information on drug cocktails' effects if you would like, or if I can't help you there I know lots of people that could.

My 2 1/2 year old son E was diagnosed with a Wilms' Tumour as a newborn, won his battle, and was recently diagnosed with Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). His cancer is most likely a secondary cancer caused by the chemotherapy his first time when he fought Wilms. E somehow passed his screenings he has every 3 months back in October but in the end of November we started to notice he wasn't quite himself, and he was diagnosed December 19th.

E had a cold last November that he just couldn't kick. We took him to the doctor and he was given an antibiotic. We were also told that he was anemic so he was given an iron supplement. He got a little better but as soon as he finished the antibiotic he got sick again. He usually has a couple bruises here and there since he is a 2 year old. His walking was greatly affected from one of the drugs in his first chemo cocktail so he trips and falls pretty often. But the bruising he had was more than usual - he bruised at the slightest bump. That's when we really knew something was wrong and took him to the doctor again. He was admitted while his bloodwork was running so he could be hydrated since he refused to eat or drink. His oncologist came to talk to my wife and I and told us that his counts were way off normal, we knew he was at risk for developing a secondary cancer but didn't think it would really happen to him. His oncologist said there were some leukemic-looking cells in his CBC and that a bone marrow biopsy would confirm a diagnosis.

Once he was diagnosed we found out that his spleen and liver were enlarged - also symptoms of leukemia. Due to the extent of enlargement of his spleen, he had it removed after a round of chemotherapy, and at the same time he had a port put back in his chest. The port, in my opinion, is an excellent device. It makes chemo so much easier to give, there isn't the time taken up or the pain of searching for a vein. It's just a small surgically-implanted balloon-like object placed in the chest that goes into the vena cava vane. You really can't tell it's there when he has a shirt on.

He had 3 strong doses of induction chemo and 6 consolidation rounds, he was given another 2 strong doses of chemo due to a tumour in his liver that was removed last month and typed as a new cancer - a Hepatoblastoma. He has since finished his 3rd round of that. He does stay in the hospital during his chemo. His chemo lasts 7 days and he usually stays for up to 2 weeks. He will also have a bone marrow transplant when a donor becomes available. The chances of relapse with AML are pretty high. Since this is his second time fighting cancer he is considered at a greater risk for relapse so the bone marrow transplant is the best choice for him. Your oncologist may talk to you about the option of the bone marrow transplant.

There are often delays due to low counts or infection. Delays are to be expected and thankfully E has only had his chemo delayed once due to low counts. He receives other medications before, during, and after chemo doses in order to combat the side effects. He usually takes Zofran (has also taken Ativan or Kytril but most often Zofran) to help with the nausea and vomiting caused by several of the drugs in his chemo cocktail. He also takes various pain killers to help with the bone pain he experiences. He has had several blood transfusions when his counts get too low.

I think I'm about out of room here and I hope this helped you out some. If you have any more questions feel free to email me (crazycanuckj@yahoo.ca) or IM me (crazycanuckj).

Source(s): My 3 year old son is a warrior who beat a Stage I FH Wilms' Tumour and Secondary Acute Myelogenous Leukemia and is still fighting hard against a Stage III Hepatoblastoma. http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/warrioreli
  • dardar

Wow, cancer is such a scary word. I remember when I was told I had cancer. I had or have, NHL. which is Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma. It has been three years since any treatments, so I am in remission right now.

Cancer can and is treated, I am living proof. In other words it is no longer a threat to most people if caught in enough time. Take some time and look up and learn as much as you can about your disease, I did that, and it made it less scary for me. Remember to keep a positive mind, and in vision the cancer cells being killed when the chemo starts, it's like having your own personal video game going on inside, and you are beating it!

A port is a small appliance that is placed just under the skin, which allow the oncology nurses to put in your chemotherapy without having to stick your arm each time. I know for a fact, it was well worth having it put in. You dont see it, but you can feel it. If there is going to be alot of chemo I would highly recommend that you have one put in.

Much happiness, and I sure will keep you in my prayers.

Prayer can be helpful. God can help you live a better life if you want Him to. You can have a personal relationship with God by saying the prayer below. God is our Creator, all-knowing, all-powerful, eternal, holy, love. God loves us and sent us His Son, Jesus Christ, so we can go to heaven if we know and follow Him. Forever means without end -- time on and on without death. Forever is what happens after we die. Either we go to heaven and be with God forever, or we go to hell which is very bad and painful forever. The good people who are saved believers in Jesus Christ go to heaven. The bad people go to hell. We need to know and follow God in this world to get to heaven in the next world. We follow God by loving and obeying Him and loving others for Him. Jesus Christ, God's Son, is our bridge to God. Jesus died on the cross to cancel our sins. We need to accept Jesus into our life as our Lord and Savior forever to receive God's blessing and forgiveness plus go to heaven to be with God forever after we die. This is about being a born-again Christian. Faith in God is a gift from God. You can pray for faith in God. Just speak out and ask God for the faith to believe in Him and to follow Him. Some people find faith in God when they realize the beauty in the world is made by God. Evolution can't explain the world's natural beauty, for example, the parks in the world, animals, flowers, peacocks, sunsets, butterflies, rainbows, etc. After you have your faith on, you can pray a sinner's prayer to be a born-again Christian. This prayer is very important and should be said with a sincere heart and faith in God. This is the prayer: "Dear God, I know that I am a sinner and that Jesus Christ is the sacrifice for our sins. I have done the following sins (state these out) and I pray to discontinue these sins. I pray to receive Jesus Christ into my life as my Lord and Savior forever. In Jesus' name, amen." I'm Lutheran and I like the Baptist churches too. You could try out a Christian church and also see about their weekly Bible study group to learn about God's will for your life. You can pray to God about your daily life and have a Christian church pray for you.